Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a sourdough loaf that turned out. I gave up on the starter I tried to make and got some from http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/ I used the instructions for reviving the start which uses white flout (I used unbleached). I then used half wheat for the dough. At first I didn't think my dough would raise, which was my problem before (using all wheat starter). I checked it after 5 hours and it was still a blob, but checked again 2 hours later and it filled up the bowl! Shaped the loaf, let it rise again and baked it. Just got it out of the oven and I can't wait to eat some. I plan on slowly adding wheat to the starter. I'm glad I don't have to give up on sourdough!

Wanted to add my starter had a much stronger smell than my last one. Is that from using the unbleached flour, or just because it was working better? I almost thought it was bad, but dh said he thought it should be that way (remembering from his childhood).

·
Registered
709 Posts
LOL.....I used it once and then put it in the back of the frig and forgot about it. I may have killed mine too.
I need to look at the instructions again, I can feed it tomorrow and see if it is still alive.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I know I killed mine b/c it got moldy. I left for a week and forgot to refrigerate - oops! Yours should be fine if you kept it in the fridge. I bet it's ok
Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.