Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a parent of two kids who have "special needs" (of two totally different types) and I have totally lost touch with "typical" development.<br><br>
So my younger kido-- just turned two year old dfd-- is VERY, VERY, VERY verbal. She repeats everything. She speaks in two-three word phrases. Sometimes she speaks in close-to-full sentences. People seem to think this means she understands more, but I really have my doubts.<br><br>
I don't think she is able to understand what a question is yet. If I ask her, "*****, do you want an orange or a banana?" she will say "orange...banana...orange...banana..." over and over.<br><br>
It's not like she is pausing to figure out what she wants. She names each fruit as if she is truly answering the question. And then she will pause for about thirty seconds and then tell you the other with the same tone of confidence in having made a choice.<br><br>
She does have attachment issues, and I am a little concerned this is a manifestation of that. I think this is one of the main reasons I am asking about this here because I want to have a better idea of how she is doing emotionally. As in, I do wonder if she is trying to guage which answer *I* want her to give because she is prone to people-please due to her issues. If that is the case, she is still struggling much more than I usually believe.<br><br>
However, I also wonder if maybe she just doesn't understand the whole concept of a question. For example, today I was playing a game with both ds and dfd where I would clap their hands together and chant "We're going to the store to buy some..." and my ds would call out different foods (eggs, bread, apples, etc.). When I did it with dfd, I would stop and ask her, "What are we going to buy," and she would repeat "going to buy," in this way that made me think she had no idea what I wanted from her. It didn't seem to matter how I asked the question. She just didn't seem to know what a question is. If I suggested a food, however, of course she would repeat it.<br><br>
My ds still does this sometimes at age three, but he is not on a "typical" track himself so that doesn't give me any clues.<br><br>
Anyway, when do kids typically begin to understand what a question is and how to respond?

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I don't have the answer to your question, however I did want to say that my 2 year old dd does <b>exactly</b> the same thing. I'm not sure if its typical or not, since my 4 year old isn't.. and my 9 year old also had atypical development.<br><br>
Sometimes I feel pretty clueless about "normal" developmental milestones.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have to say "ditto", since my elder two were somewhat atypical, (not that I remember quite what they did at two, anyway!) and my two yo does the same thing. Even given a concrete choice, like setting out the two pair of shoes, and asking "which do you want to wear?" she will just point back and forth, "dis one... or dis one" She is just now getting to the point where she will finally stop at one pair, but I am still not clear on whether she "gets" the question, YK?<br>
So this may be a typical phase, it sounds like....

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
I found this chart yesterday or the day before, when I was looking for developmental information: <a href="http://www.pbs.org/wholechild/abc/" target="_blank">http://www.pbs.org/wholechild/abc/</a><br><br>
And this also looks good: <a href="http://www.pbs.org/parents/childdevelopment/" target="_blank">http://www.pbs.org/parents/childdevelopment/</a>

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Even though we've all lost track of what is typical LOL, your responses are very helpful to me.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
My dd was like that at 2 - she was extremely verbal but would not answer "or" questions. She's 3.5 now - she still is a little iffy about answering "Why" questions - doesn't seem to totally follow cause and effect. Sometimes she answer's "when" questions with "where" answers because she has a stronger understanding of place than time. She shows lot's of signs of being gifted. It's a little tricky with early talkers cause they fool you into thinking they understanding more than they do sometimes. I still find myself talking about my "4 year old" cause I'm so used to people mistaking her for 4. HTH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts