Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a baby book by the AAP called caring for your baby and young child. It was given to me by my State Farm Agent. Well, I was flipping through it, deciding if there was anything in it making it worth keeping. I was slighty surprised to find a chapter detailing how to use CIO. It says by 7 months, a baby should be able to sleep at least 8 hours, and if they're waking more than once per night, something is disturbing her. If she cries, don't rush to her, and unless you have a reason to believe she's really hungry, don't fed her. Allow her to cry for a while, and eventually, she'll just stop crying for you all together.
Oh, and don't bring her to your bed, and if she's not already in her own room, you'd better darn well get her there.
: This is going in the recycle bin. I'm glad I didn't pay anything for it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
the thing I hate especially about that book is that they really make it seem like it is all about parental weakness. Like,if you're tough enough you should be able to let them cry!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaina
why would a state farm agent give that to you?
I'm not really sure why there is an afiliation there. State Farm's logo is on the cover and there is a general letter inside.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We received this book in the mail from our State Farm agent too. I flipped through it one night and it almost made me sick. I am relieved to know that I am not the only one who felt this way.

I am assuming that SF distributes the book because they think they are improving the health and safety of the families they insure. I hate to think about all the families who receive this book and are influenced by the messages about CIO, for example.

Do you think I should call our SF agent and let him know that we received the book, but found some of its content to be biased (or not very inclusive of various family lifestyles)? Maybe I could suggest the Sears baby book as a good alternative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts