Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started since 3 nites ago, my 2,9 years old boy cried very badly when I put him to bed. Mummy I don't want to go to school. I don't want teacher. Afraid, teacher pinched me, here (tab his tigh). I asked same questions about what happend just to convince myself that he is not telling lie (unlightly for his age). He felt asleep with his tears. He joined a Montessory school since last semester. He cried for the first visit to school but it was not as bad as this time. I can feel that he was having a very bad experience in the school. I intend to meet the principal later today, just came accross in my mind perhaps anybody has a same experience, maybe can give me an advise how to handle this situation ? What I should do if the principal and his teacher said they did nothing to my son (eventhough I believe something happend) Any advise will be very valueable for me.

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
Hi Patricia-This is alarming. I was a little confused about the age of your boy--2, or 9 or is it 2 years and 9 months? At any age it is unlikely that a child would make up something like that for no purpose--this is particularly true if your son is a 2 year old. It might be helpful to take a friend or partner with you to discuss this. I don't know where you are, but in my part of the country/world, a teacher physically harming a child would be taken very seriously. You need to stand your ground if you believe your son.

I haven't had a similar experience with my own kids, but I"ve had lots of experience with children disclosing abuse. Take it seriously and investigate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Lauren! Yes, my son is 2 years and 9 month. We lives in Jakarta, Indonesia. The school he attend is a reputable International Montessory school established 25 years old.

Just had a meeting with the principal and teachers. They confirmed that they never practise hitting (expected answers). What they did is to tab a child hand when they hit their friends. But my son never hit his friend according to them therefore they never 'hit' him.

They have asked me to start again tomorrow morning and will assign one teacher to be with him.

Me as a mother still wonder what actually happened with my son. I hope he will get over it and back to school with smile.

Once again, thanks Lauren!

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
I'm glad they know you are watching them!

I have always wondered why people think they are teaching 'no hitting' when they hit the child for hitting--even if it is a gentle tap. I think it teaches the child that only the grown-ups can hit. Just my thoughts.....

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I don't think it's ever ok for a teacher to "tap" a kid, or to touch the kid in any way the kid doesn't like.

I think "tapping" is a sufficient reason for pulling a kid out of school. I would also review the corporal punishment policy. Of course they are not going to admit they hit him, which is probably what they did.

Most parents who say they only "tap" are actually the spanking type.

I have never seen a kid who didn't have a good reason for not liking the teacher. Also, most kids tend to underestimate the damage done to them, so I would guess it was a lot worse than what he said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.