Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband currently stays at home while I work full time. I started working 4 months ago, with the plan that he would stay home until I had this baby, and then I would stay home again. Anyway, last night he tells me that our friend asked if he wanted to split a childcare provider for 10 hours a week, and then they would swap with each other for another 10 hours a week, for a total for 20 hours a week, which would cost us 50$. I asked what he planned to do with that time, and he said clean the house. Um, you cant do that with ds? Currently our 6yo friend comes over 1-2 times a week for a few hours to play with ds while dh cleans. We pay her 3$ hour. The house is constantly gross, although I don’t complain because I barely did any better. I feel like his job is to take care of ds, and if he is spending ½ the week with someone else, he should be doing something to better our family, like go back to work a few days a week, or something, I don’t know. I feel like he will end up playing world of warcraft all day. I don’t get why he wants to send ds away for so long! I totally understand a few hours a week, but 20? Im not very happy in this relationship right now, but I am not sure how to formulate my feelings. This issue is very separate from the reasons I am unhappy, but it makes me feel really angry that he wants to do this.<br><br><br>
ETA- woops this was supposed to by in parents as partners

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Moving this to Parents as Partners for you

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Maybe he will play warcraft a bit. He needs a bit of a break, too. I am a sahm with one child, one large dog, and two cats. I have a hard time cleaning my house. The only way I get anything done is to put on a dvd and let dd watch it while I clean or do laundry. If I want a break, since she does not nap, I have to do the same. My dh does not fully understand why I need a break now and then but then again he does not have to gobble his lunch down while trying to get the 3 year old to stop pulling the dog's tail and keep the dog away from her food. Parenting is hard. Maybe you two could come up with some sort of compromise.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
I think a couple hours a week is fine, but 20? No freakin way, not unless he was working a part time job or something.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I would say suggest he swap the 10 hours with his buddy for free and forget the other 10 hours.<br><br>
Question for you - does he really pay a 6 year old to play with your son?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not to play with our son per se, but to keep him out of the room(s) he is working on so he can efficiently get things done. like a mothers helper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts