Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a look through the belly pics sticky. Ok, my belly doesn't look anything like anyone else's belly. I don't look pg...I just look fat
Granted I started this pregnancy much heavier than I should be. When I am in good shape I am about an 8 and I started in a 14, so not the best place to start. I definitely lost some weight at the beginning, my clothes were fitting much more loosely. I am still in my pre-pg clothes, comfortably, but I just looked at my belly in the mirror and there is nothing there to indicate that I am pg. Well, that isn't entirely true. Usually I don't stick out so much from boobs to belly button, but now I do stick out there, but that isn't baby. Anyway, it is depressing and makes me wish I had done alot more before I got pg. I was exercising regularly, but the first trimester fatigue coupled with a very poor sleeper got me out of the habit of going to the gym because I was so darn tired. Anyway, I want to get back to the pool, because I felt so much better when I swam regularly.

Ok, thanks for letting me whine

Beth

·
Registered
642 Posts
I feel the same exact way! If you looked at my bare belly, you'd think I was just a fat arse
. I'm sure both of us will end up with a beautiful baby bump in a few weeks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I hear ya.

I'm a size 16/18, and most of my belly fluff has shifted upwards in the last couple of months. I don't think I look pregnant yet either, but DH says he can tell. I feel like I'm just "filling out" if that makes sense. I can't button my jeans anymore, and I haven't gained much weight, so I must admit it's not "just" fat... but I do have a hard time believing it because it feels like fat to me. I don't care about being classified as overweight or obese (I'm perfectly healthy and anyone who has an issue with my size can shove it), I just want to look pregnant. I'm still able to conceal my growing bulge very convincingly, and I expect I'll be able to for at least another month. I guess my biggest concern is wanting my pregnancy to be obvious, and not just "wow, someone's been hitting the Big Macs."

I see all the beautiful bellies in our belly thread and I do get jealous, but I'm also a first-timer so I know I have a longer wait to get my "obvious" pregger belly.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I never did get a baby belly with DS. Well, unless you're intimately familiar enough with my body to see me with my clothes off. I'm not small to begin with, so I did expect it to take longer, but I still expected SOMETHING. I kept saying that as soon as you could tell I was pregnant, I'd start to take pictures of my belly. Well, DS was born at 37 weeks and I never took one picture because nobody could tell anyway.

This time, I'm really not sure what to expect. I had to pull out maternity clothes at about 8 weeks this time - last time I think I was able to wait until 18 or 20 weeks. But my DH's grandma, who I've posted about (okay, ranted about) before about things she says that shouldn't be said, was visiting this last weekend and said, "You're not going to get any bigger, are you? Gosh, I HOPE not! You're plenty big enough already." Yeah, thanks - like I said before, even now at almost 16 weeks, unless I tell people, they wouldn't know I was pregnant because there's no belly there.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I don't look pregnant until I am at least 24 weeks. Until then...it's hard to know which bump is baby and which bump is fat.....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Yep. I definately look fat rather that pregnant. I had lost 35 lbs over the last few years and have only gained 5 but things, my beautiful new things, are not fitting. I'll have to dig out the fat pants I kept.

Next week I'm going on a business trip and I don't know who what will fit by then.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntieLiz View Post
I hear ya.

I'm a size 16/18, and most of my belly fluff has shifted upwards in the last couple of months. I don't think I look pregnant yet either, but DH says he can tell. I feel like I'm just "filling out" if that makes sense. I can't button my jeans anymore, and I haven't gained much weight, so I must admit it's not "just" fat... but I do have a hard time believing it because it feels like fat to me. I don't care about being classified as overweight or obese (I'm perfectly healthy and anyone who has an issue with my size can shove it), I just want to look pregnant. I'm still able to conceal my growing bulge very convincingly, and I expect I'll be able to for at least another month. I guess my biggest concern is wanting my pregnancy to be obvious, and not just "wow, someone's been hitting the Big Macs."

I see all the beautiful bellies in our belly thread and I do get jealous, but I'm also a first-timer so I know I have a longer wait to get my "obvious" pregger belly.
It's amazing because I feel like I could have written this word for word! I feel exactly the same! If I don't suck in my tummy, I kind of sort of look semi-pregnant. DH says that he can tell, but only when I'm not wearing a shirt. Don't really know what the difference there is but whatever. Can't wait for my belly to pop!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I am also having the "shifting" effect -- just belly pudge, but not baby belly yet. I was on the upper end of a size 12 when all of this started, my pants started to get uncomfortably tight by about 10 weeks, and I thought, hey, I'll just go buy some 14 pants -- might need them even after pregnancy, and they might be more versatile than maternity pants. BUT, I couldn't even find 14s that fit! It's like the geography of my middle section has shifted up and out. So here I am, 13 weeks in, already wearing nearly all maternity pants (and some forgiving regular pants with the bella band).
I am not sure if I look pregnant to people or just fat. I surely feel a little round in the middle! I want that baby bump right now, especially because I don't really have any symptoms right now other than being constantly thirsty and having to pee all the time. Baby bump makes it REAL!

(Side note: I'm really not worried at all about gaining weight during all this. I work a few cubes down from a woman who is due in July, and she groans over every ounce gained. I think it's stressing her out! I am basically just eating what I normally eat, with effort to get more protein and dairy in there. But I flatly refuse to restrict myself while pregnant -- it just seems wrong! I am really glad that we will all be pregnant through the summer when fresh fruits and veg will be available at the farm stand. That will encourage me to eat well! But I am CERTAIN that there will be some soft serve ice cream with chocolate sprinkles in there too, and that's just fine!)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Right there with you all!! My "upper" belly is sticking out more and baby isn't up there, so something is shifting....but just making me look chunkier! And I've lost almost 15 pounds this pg!! I'm 16 weeks now and am hoping in another 10 weeks or so I'll look more pg than chunky!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm right there with you ladies! I'm 15.5 weeks, and was a size 8 pre-pregnancy. I'm still wearing all of my normal clothes, they're just a bit snug. If I really suck it in I look pretty normal. If I relax my stomach I just look fat. DH and I are going to Jamaica for a week at the beginning of June. I had visions of lounging around in my bikini with an adorable baby belly, but now I'm worried that I'll just look like I have a gut! ha ha

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know what you mean. I'm a pretty small person (5'4, 110 lbs pre-pregnancy) and it's annoying to me that I'm just looking kinda dumpy rather than pregnant. My belly looks like it has that "baby pooch" but when I feel it, it's not taught like a preggo belly, just flabby.
Couple that with how a lot of my symptoms (like morning sickness and breast tenderness) are starting to go away and I don't even feel pregnant anymore. I never thought I'd say I missed the fatigue, but at least it was reassurance that I was, indeed, carrying a baby.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Same here and I hate it. I'm having a really hard time understanding how I haven't gained at all, lost actually, and yet my belly is getting fatter????!!!! It's definitely not baby because it's not firm at all, more like jello! Ugh!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.