Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My children have no desire to do their lessons. They would rather plop down and watch TV or do whatever their little sister is doing. I have to keep their little sister busy with coloring, play doh, toys, sometimes TV, all.the.time. and they need more direct supervision with their schoolwork then I've been able to provide. She is very spirited and into everything, including their schoolwork during schooltime. I've tried doing school in the afternoon, but it doesn't work. I swear their little sister knows and won't nap. And even if she were to nap, it becomes like pulling teeth to get them to do anything. I am so frustrated!!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
What are your children's ages? I have to say that there are some days that I feel like I have done nothing with my son. I really feel like you need to allow these days to pass. You need to remember that in school there are many more days like that. They have days the teacher has a meeting and so an aid in the class and nothing really gets done. Your little person will learn eventually how to entertain themselves. I would make a plan to accomplish Reading, Writing, Math and either science or History. All the other stuff can be accomplished easily without sitting down and being forced. Do The hard stuff first. We do Reading and Writing at around 8:30am. This takes up to an hour, but there are MANY distractions from my dd and my daycare kids. Next we eat breakfast and have a break. WE then do more reading and writing if we did not finish or we go to the computer and play come educational game. We do math and History/Science after lunch when kids MAY be napping.<br><br>
It is very tricky, but my ds IS learning and have a positive attitude. The key is a schedule. Make it known this is how we do it and allow for many breaks.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
we all have days like this. I have a set of kumon workbooks for these days so I can pull them out and at least do one or two pages/projects from them so SOMETHING got done. I also find it helpful to have a few easy art projects on hand.<br><br>
sometimes the tv sucks us all in, maybe you can distract from tv with a field trip?

·
Registered
170 Posts
My day was like this today; and actually it has been hard the past week getting them to get their lessons done.<br><br>
I am not that confident in my homeschooling, so I automatically think that they would be better off in school; having a teacher to listen to instead of me.<br><br>
My support system is not that great (only hubby is supportive) and I don't know too many veteran homeschoolers that I can have as a mentor. I should probably jump on here more often to talk with you moms!<br><br>
Karen

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
When my dd is unmotivated, making sure there are no other reasons (doesn't understand school work, doesn't feel good, had things on her mind, etc), I begin taking away privileges for each offense. TV and play doh and any playing really wait until after school work is done. There would be punishments in school for disruptions and whatnot so I feel I am in line doing it at home for lack of work, attitude, etc. We really limit tv to begin with, and it is always a treat instead of "just because" maybe thats an idea for you so thy aren't distracted by the thought of a tv program they're missing.<br><br>
Sometimes a break is necessary, and sometimes a field trip works wonders. Doing the same thing day in and day out can get boring, so make sure there is some change to your days occasionally. A surprise day off for good behavior/really motivated work is great. Reward good behaviors more than the bad, but do not let the bad behaviors go.<br><br>
I think kids test the waters more while being homeschooled because they'r comfortable enough with you to do it. I think this is a great (but exhausting) time to drill in what is acceptable or not, but be consistent and soon enough your days will get easier.<br><br>
If you've recently begun homeschooling, there are bumps in the road as you get used to what you're doing. Give it time, be patient, but also remember to be consistent with your rewards and punishment.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
There have been so many posts lately that are similar to this, and I can only empathize because we are at a bumpy patch right now too. Perhaps, with the holidays approaching, it is kinda like "spring fever" but for homeschoolers. We didn't get "spring fever" last year but I suspect that was partly because we went outside a lot. But, with the holidays, I can't go to Chistmas for a break, I have to be patient and have Christmas come as it will.<br><br>
Amy

·
Registered
907 Posts
Do you ever watch Dr. Phil? He says that every child has their own "currency." "Currency" is the thing in their life they care most about and are willing to perform undesirable tasks (like chores or school work) in order to "earn". For some kids it may be TV. For others it may be video games, time outdoors, special "alone" time with mom or dad, certain toys, etc. I've found this to work like a charm for my kids. Find out what your child's currency is and then remove it from their day and ask them to "earn" it back by doing their school work without whining or complaining. Good luck. I hope things improve soon.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I think you can do it! It can be hard getting started, but once you get into a routine it will be easier. It took us three months to get to where we are and before now I would wake up every morning and find that I was totally afraid that my kids were going to be 35 and unable to read or write or add or do anything besides build with lego's , watch videos and destroy my house! Though my youngest is 22 months and is very independent, so he's not so demanding of my time. You have the will, so there is a way! I know you can do it. Long deep breaths mama! This link is from The Well Trained Mind, and while it is a list for moms of many, tip #4 might be of help. Good Luck!<br><br><a href="http://www.welltrainedmind.com/ten-tips-from-homeschooling-moms-of-four-or-more/" target="_blank">http://www.welltrainedmind.com/ten-t...-four-or-more/</a>

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
How old are your kids? I have been / kinda still am in your shoes. My oldest is almost 9 and goes to a charter school now. Everything about it is perfect for her. Small class size, great teacher, close to home. But a part of me misses having her home and I also miss keeping our own schedule. Now we have to go with a school schedule and it stinks. Especially on those cold winter mornings where it's icey and no one wants to leave the house. If only school were a seasonal thing. She is extroverted and loves being around people and this setting suits her.<br><br>
I have a 1st grader who is still homeschooled and it works so wonderfully for her. I don't know if I want to enroll her in the same school (her spot is reserved) next year or not. Decisions, decisions. She is such an intravert and does so well at home with me.<br><br>
And finally, and this is where I feel your pain, lol, my 3 year old. She is into everything, won't nap, and is a huge distraction. Very spirited little thing. Love her to pieces. Don't know if she'll start K in two years or not.<br><br>
I will say that there are pros and cons to both sides and in my opinion, they are about equal. I can't say one is better than the other. They each require a fair amount of work every day and one option is not inherently easier than the other option. Homeschooling is fun and filled with freedom and charming in a way. Public (charter?) schooling is nice in that my child has made so many friends and will likely move up the grades with these same people and this is fun and charming in its own way. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts