Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
I'll trade you all with competent husbands. My husband can fly a plane, but you should have seen the first DISPOSABLE diaper he put on our son.
Now, he's willing to use an already-stuffed-FB as long as I shake the poop off for him. Contours, Snappis, covers - he's not planning on even trying to figure out.

My DH doesn't like to use the Snappi, he always ends up asking the older kids to do it (yes, my 12 and 10 year old are PROS at the prefolds and Snappi)
. My mom was totally supportive of cloth diapering and was an enthusiastic student in "modern" cloth diapering practices, so I haven't had any problems there.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Great responses ... I guess in some ways I'm very fortunate to have my dh willing to figure it all out with me.
I still don't get dh's that don't do diapers (my FIL has yet to change a diaper - he's gone through 2 kids and 2 grandkids and hasn't touched one yet!) ... and glad my dh isn't one of them.

my dh is great with diapers, but my mother (who, FTR, CD'd my older brother and sister with flats, pins, and rubber pants) could never seem to master the concept that the whole diaper had to be under the cover if she wanted dd's clothes to stay dry. i actually bought a bunch of pockets to use when she went to gmas house (two days a week when i was still working) because i got tired of picking her up and having her be soaking wet.

My dh will NOT use cloth diapers. He changes ONE diaper per day, and that's at the 1:00 am feeding. I lay out a pre-stuffed Fuzzi Bunz and a VB AIO on the changing table and every morning, I still find dd in a sposie.
: What's the deal with that?

I'm sure I've probably used the phase too. DH is pretty good about knowing what goes with what. But since NEITHER of us could figure out prefolds & snappis on our wiggly kid, I guess I should add easy for mom to use too. Grandparents, however, are a lost cause here. They watched DS last weekend and instead of changing the scarey cloth diapers they left him in a poopy diaper until DH got home.
Poor baby! Thankfully it wasn't for long. And she did use cloth on her kids! SIL at least changed him, but despite the fact that I said solid colors pockets only she put him in a fitted for a nap with no cover. The solids were laid out too, I guess the print was just cuter. Whenever I say it, that's who I'm thinking of.

My dh can use a snappi but if there are sposies in the house he'll go for those first. He gets frustrated with the squirming. I kinda had a plot to convince him to fund more fitteds and it worked. lol! Just ordered them today, and he said to sell the prefolds. I swear Nitara has been through more stash changes than any other baby around but it's been fun to sell the diapers and get the $$ back.

Every time my DH hears the term "Dad friendly" he gets soooo mad! He usually comes up with a phrase like "I'm sorry I can't change the baby, I'm to busy watching football and drinking beer with my hand down my pants. I don't blame him it is a bit offensive. Although I totally understand that not everyone is like him (my dad included)

BTW we use prefold/snappi/BSWW and I've changed only about a dozen diapers in the last two months.

Hooray for all you Dads out there that don't fit the steryotype. You know who you are

My DH changes DS all the time when he is home. I rarely have to do it if he is here. But he has trouble with the cloth dipes, so I keep AIOs and pockets on one side of the table for him to use, if they are gone he will use a sposie before he'll do a fitted w/ cover. Tho if I am around and hand him a fitted w/ cover and talk him through using them, he'll do it. I think if I had all the same kind of dipes and covers, he'd adjust to it pretty quickly. But I have a varied stash and he just doesn't want to fill his brain with what goes with what, and which snaps fit best these days, etc.

He has no problem with poopy dipes either, even takes sposies to the toilet to flush away the poop.

One word. Motivation. Many dads/grandparents/babysitters don't 'get' the whole cloth diaper thing ("WHY would you do that when you can buy disposables in this day and age?"). And hence they are not terribly motivated to learn to use them. A self fullfilling prophecy, perhaps? If they are 'totally confusing' you'll have to go buy those easy, convenient disposables, right?

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzybee
I use the phrase "daddy and grandma friendly". My DH will not use anything other than my easy AIOs.
I am sorry some of you are offended by that

Don't be sad.
I may not get the need for easy for dad diapers (though your AIO's ROCK!!!), but in no way am I offended by the phrase. I've just always been baffled by it because in my sheltered world, I don't need something that's easy for them, kwim? But no offense ever taken, so please don't feel like you've offended ... keep using the phrase because from the looks of it here, there are definitely dads (and grandparents) that need the "easier" diapers.

my dh likes consistency.... he is content with prefolds and prowraps (or bummis), loves the fuzzi bunz, but absolutely hates my random (trying-to-decide-if-these-work-for-us) fitteds and wool covers - those are too complicated. he does much prefer CD'ing over disposables.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmansions
I have a varied stash and he just doesn't want to fill his brain with what goes with what, and which snaps fit best these days, etc.

That is my dh, he has no problem using cloth dipes, changing dipes, dunking poopy dipes, or washing dipes. But if things are not consistent (ie all AIOs or all fitteds and covers) he ends up putting a cover over an AIO or using a fitted w/out a cover. I do the bulk of the changing since I SAH, but when he's home he has no problem. If I get a new diaper he usually doesn't mess with it cause he's not sure if it is an AIO or not lol. But he knows CuddleBuns need covers (hence the cover over the one CIO I have lol) and he knows the Very Baby AIOs don't need a cover. Beyond that, I don't expect him to memorize the other stuff.

My husband is just fine with any diapering system-- it took a little bit for him to learn what needs a cover, but he does just fine. When Adam was a newborn he preferred to prefold and snappi; now we use pockets and fitteds/wool, and he uses both without any issue. Both grandmothers, however, are nervous about the diapers-- not sure why, since they both used cloth.
My two occasional teen babysitters prefer it when I leave a velcro dipe, so I do. When my neighbor (a mom of two) kept Adam when he was tiny, she had no problems with any diaper I left her (pockets in various styles). She always figured it out.

My dh had never changed a diaper before dd was born. Since he is the primary caregiver on the weekend, he has to be able to do the whole shebang - including the laundry. He knows the difference between the different kinds, but he can't figure which doublers go in which diapers (once washed). He hasn't ever had an issue with it.

As an aside, I think men in general have a secret weapon they use to get out of doing something. You ask them to do something, they agree, then do it spectacularly badly.
Like they wash all the whites with a red shirt. Then you never let them do it again. That way they get out of lots of things. I figure if I explain exactly what and how to do something, he can figure it out. He's a very smart man. Just needs the right direction

it isn't that my dd dad, grandparents, and babysiters were incompetent. they were unmotivated, unintrested, and unwilling to use cloth. So it had to be something easy.

however if I was paying a babysitter she was going to learn to pin a prefold gosh darn it. and the two girls who babysat for me took great pride in the cloth diapering skills I must say. I even caught one bragging to her frieds.
dh and grandma would buy disposables.

I agree
My husband can do it all, even prefolds and snappis. He gets a little confused by wool, so he just avoids it. In the beginning he said something dumb about not "doing poopy diapers" and I chewed him a new one for a dumb comment like that. As if women are born with some special gene that makes us more capable of handling baby poop

I bought FBs at first, because I thought they'd be easy for me and dh. They were the only diapers he would use for months. Now, he's totally great with pins. He just needed some time to learn.

Now, stepMIL is clueless. She and FIL are our usual babysitters, if we go out. I only take her FBs now, and even still she somehow manages to mess them up by snapping them on the loosest setting so they're falling off of ds, literally. I really want to sew some VB AIOs for her, but I haven't found the time yet.

So, no not everyone needs a user-friendly diaper, but there are those who do.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.