Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm really confused about this symbol and why its even needed. I guess i think of signs, for example, bathrooms, escalator, library, whatever, directing you where to go for your need.

Well, if we are advocates to breastfeed anywhere, NIP, why does there have to be a symbol? Where are companies going to put this? For a place where you *should* go to nurse?

Help me out, i just don't get the point.

·
Registered
321 Posts
sometimes my baby gets distracted easily while nursing...and i know i sometimes need a break from crowds, the sign would be a nice way of saying that there is a comfy quiet spot to nurse and rest while out shopping etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I love when places have spots especially for nursing moms ~ not that we *have* to go there but I love a nice comfy chair and a place to relax rather than trying to sit down in the middle of a clothing aisle!!

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Because most nursing or family rooms have bottle icons.
:

The places (airports etc) that have "family rooms" usually use a bottle as an identifying icon. This is to replace those, as well as to designate places (both shops and restaurants as a whole and specific rooms) as breastfeeding, motherbaby friendly.

I for one would love to see them on bus and train seats, too - "Please make these seats available for nursing moms"!

The symbol doesn't mean we're only allowed or welcome where it's shown, just that there are places with special accomodations for (comfy chairs, relaxed atmosphere, whatever) or who make a particular effort to be educated about and welcoming of the nursing dyad (or triad
).

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I am not against NIP at all and have done it countless times, but if a department store wants to offer a nice, low lit, comfy room (Norstrom!) then I am more than willing to use it. I see those types of rooms as stores offering support for nursing moms, because some are not comfortable NIP. BUT, their signs are all bottles, which does annoy me. However, I have never seen a bottlefed baby there, only BF ones. And it is kinda nice too, I have met some nice people there. I would love to see Nordstrom change their sign!!!!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gottcha. That makes sense! I would love for there to be signs on buses/planes/trains too for nursing mamas! Great idea!

I find London to be really good about having places for breastfeeding in most stores with big comfy chairs, even one has a seprate room for bottle feeders and a seperate room for breastfeeding. Anyway, thanks for your opinions and clearing that up.

I guess I will always NIP wherever i want, but like you say, if this starts a trend of having rooms for us, than so be it!

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
It doesn't actually look like a breastfeeding symbol to me. When I was watching the polls it wasn't the one with the most votes either so

It just looks like someone holding a baby. I would, however, like to see it in the front window of stores, next to the disabled person symbol. Like a little advertisement "We're breastfeeding friendly."

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
My son was SO distractable at such an early age that he would NOT nurse if there were people going by or other things to look at!! So more quiet nursing areas would have been great back then. It's not like I wasn't willing to NIP, he just wouldn't do it. He's always been a curious little guy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts