Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Chicago area and have 3 y.o. twins. My daughter has asthma, and my son is very small for his age and skinny. (They were induced 2 months premature, and he has medical issues that affect his ability to eat.)

Our preschool has a policy of taking the children outside if the windchill is 30 degrees or above. I think that is way too cold. I want to just go and stay with them while the class is outside on days that seem too cold in my view, say below 40 degrees.

Do you think I'll run into static for doing this? How would you approach it? I'm half-inclined just to say they have been a little under the weather and I don't want them outside each day that seems cold that the class plans to go outside.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Well, I live in Alaska & my son's preschool program has a much cooler temperature limit than yours or else they'd be indoors all winter
This is his second year there and I don't recall any day that they haven't gone out - but there are certainly some days that they don't stay out as long.

It is important to have good gear for kids - I made my boys fleece hoods so the hats will stay on, cover their ears and necks and if they choos, their mouth, nose and cheeks, too. Snow pants, warm boots, nice jacket and mittens that have long cuffs and cinches so that their wrists aren't exposed.

IMO - bundle them up & see how it goes. I do appreciate your concerns. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Why do you feel they can't go out in what isn't really all that cold weather? Do you have a specific concern, or has you Dr warned you? I wouldn't let weight be the major determining factor. My DS is in the zero percentile for weight, and he runs very warm like a little furnace. I've known many people with asthma who go out in the cold without thinking twice.

30 degrees (with wind chill factored in) isn't that cold. Do you realize that if you never want them to go out when the temperature is below 32 degrees (thefreezing point of water) then they will never get to play in snow, or go ice skating?

Here in NJ never going out if it's below 40 (with wind chill) would mean only going outside a few days all winter long. I'm guessing that days that warm are even rarer in Chicago the windy city, especially since you are factoring in wind chill.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree. Unless a Dr. has warned you against this, I would be sure to bundle them up and let them go out. The school my kids go to lets them outside if it is above 20 degrees. The kids actually LOVE going outside and we pack their snow pants, boots, gloves, hats, etc. My son is 3-years-old and my daughter is 5. We live in Iowa so we probably have pretty similar weather. I am a big believer in getting kids out (as long as conditions aren't dangerous) and letting them get fresh air. I personally think it's good for them!! Good luck with figuring it all out.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Just FWIW I have asthma that came about as a result from a weakened heart and an early birth. Being able to play in the cold as much as I HATED being bundled up (I just hate the clothing) felt sooooo good on my lungs right now my asthma been flairing as I'm fighting off the end of a cold and the best feeling is to get outside in the evenings where the temepeture finially falls low enough the coolness feels sooo good. Of course I'm in southern AZ..

Deanna

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
I do think you'd run into problems with this, unless there is a documented medical reason to keep the kids indoors. I can see how it would easily cause logistical problems for the school. What would you do with the kids while you're inside?

I guess I'm just another person who doesn't understand WHY you'd want to keep the kids inside when it isn't really that cold. But then again, I'm in MN and we have a much lower temperature threshold for playing outside.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm in a suburb just north of Chicago. I have a three year old who is on the small side too, and I think it's good for them to get out every day. 40 degrees is not really that cold. I would just bundle them up really well. I bet they'll have fun playing in the snow. How long do they stay out?

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
30 degrees is not cold, that is barely under freezing. Even if the school doesn't fight you on this, the kids will when they see their friends getting to go & play outside while they have to stay inside.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
OP, I think it's your decision completely. I would contact the admin of the school and see what they say -- it most likely will not be an issue you have to fight once you bring up that you feel it would be unhealthy.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
I know what would happen in my daycare. My policy is that if the children aren't well enough to play outside or participate fully in my program are too ill to be here. So I'd ask you to keep them home on days you felt were too cold to play outside.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Cat View Post
I live in the Chicago area and have 3 y.o. twins. My daughter has asthma, and my son is very small for his age and skinny. (They were induced 2 months premature, and he has medical issues that affect his ability to eat.)

Our preschool has a policy of taking the children outside if the windchill is 30 degrees or above. I think that is way too cold. I want to just go and stay with them while the class is outside on days that seem too cold in my view, say below 40 degrees.

Do you think I'll run into static for doing this? How would you approach it? I'm half-inclined just to say they have been a little under the weather and I don't want them outside each day that seems cold that the class plans to go outside.
I would ask, if you are willing to go to the school and stay with them while the teacher is out with the other students and it's okay with them I think t's a good solution. It may besomething that would work for 'planned' times they are to be outside but what happens if they go out for a break that is not scheduled?

I would not fib and say they are under the weather.

You know your children and what their limits are, and when you don't "know" I'm sure you err on the side of caution. As they get older they will know what their limits are (well most of the time, until something really fun is ahead
... but they will know what they can handle and what they cannot)

My little guy has issues with heat, his sweat glands do not funtion fully. he has gotten where he will slow down or choose the best hot/cold/sun/shade environment for himself. I plan on talking to the public school next year when he starts K and arrange for options to be available for him (but with the limits that he just doesn't take advantage that he can do XYZ if he doesn't want to do what the whole class is doing) because it's a public school and I have the Dr. stuff to go along with it I see somthing being able to be worked out, if you are dealing with a private place then it may be more policy/if they want to work with you or not. You will not know unless you ask.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
I know what would happen in my daycare. My policy is that if the children aren't well enough to play outside or participate fully in my program are too ill to be here. So I'd ask you to keep them home on days you felt were too cold to play outside.
This is the policy here as well...the school has a much lower outside threshold than yours (we are very near you, BTW), they go outside if it is over 20 degrees or 10 windchill. If your child is not healthy enough to go outside, they are not healthy enough to be in the daycare, in terms of things like colds, etc. For a chronic condition/disability, you have to have a meeting with the school and bring documentation from a doctor, but generally, your child can not stay inside while other go out. My 4 yo dd has asthma as well, and LOVES going out in the cold. They are required to bring/wear/store cold weather gear at school, coats, hats, mittens/gloves, snowpants, boots, etc.
i don't think a parent going in to sit with her kids while evertyone else went out would fly here, to be honest...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I only WISH my daughter's preschool would take them outside. It seems that they haven't been out on their beatiful wooded playground since the beginning of October and I suspect they won't go out until March
:

I think the fresh air is so good for them, but I work all day so it's dark by the time we get home, so we can't go to the park

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Why do you feel they can't go out in what isn't really all that cold weather? Do you have a specific concern, or has you Dr warned you? I wouldn't let weight be the major determining factor. My DS is in the zero percentile for weight, and he runs very warm like a little furnace. I've known many people with asthma who go out in the cold without thinking twice.
I agree.

It's good for children to get outside, even in the winter.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
You know your children best and what they can handle. That said, I had asthma when I was younger and the cold air felt soooooo good on my lungs. It started to be a problem around 10-15 degrees (F), but 30 was just about perfect.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Unless there is a doctor's recommendation that he not go outside and play below a certain temperature, I would encourage him to go outside and play. Dress him appropriately and then let him go.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
For outdoor play I really suggest the layering approach. My kids 6 and 10 wear long johns under their school clothing because they go out most days. One of my kids has asthma and was a preemie, so I do understand about the cold weather. What I find is that if my child has a cold or virus, the cold air can exacerbate the asthmatic cough. It's tricky because it's not enough to be kept home for, but I do need to know that I'll be called should the asthma be kicked in to the point of needing a neb. or inhaler. I have found that a scarf wrapped around the face to cover the mouth, or a face mask that covers the mouth has helped to warm the air a bit as it goes in. I totally understand your concern, but I would say that my experience with my child is that he WANTS to be outside so I try to make that happen.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
yup, I think that's pretty standard. Just send appropiate clothing, hats, mittens, etc.

Most pre-schools likely do not have the staffing to accomodate children staying inside during recess.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I worked in a daycare, we had parents express concerns about kids going out in the cold all the time. The truth is, being inside all the time is what causes colds and other illnesses to spread more in the winter. The constant closeness and recycled air cause the germs to spread more easily.
My son has never been diagnosed with asthma, but when he was younger would often get respiratory infections which required breathing treatments. When he would get really bad, the doctor would always recommend taking him out in the cold air for a while to help clear his lungs.

Lol-I live in Texas, and always used Alaska as an example! ;-) What would those kids do if they weren't allowed outside when it was cold?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.