Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I fed my freezer my first postpartum meal. It was enchiladas. I plan on doing a lot more (at least 8) and I'm really happy to have finally started. It has taken me all this time just to get my energy up to be able to cook anything. Now I can't wait to start on some more (maybe I'll even do a couple of deserts
). Anyone else starting to do this or planning on it?

·
Registered
792 Posts
i'm thinking about it. we now have a freezer and a microwave. i did a moroccan lentil soup a couple of weeks ago and froze it. thawing it was a nightmare! after about 15 minutes in the microwave i gave up and put it on the range.

i'm thinking i'll do a lasagne or two and more soups. enchiladas sounds wonderful! getting refried beans in this country is ridiculous though.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frozen casseroles that you can just put in the oven are MUCH tastier then anything you can put in the micro. For refried beans all you have to do is make your regular Pinto beans (I usually just make a pound in the crockpot), then you take a large pan, melt a cube of butter on medium heat then stir in a half a cup of white flour and whisk. Then you add a few cups or so of the water you cooked the beans in and stir. Then you add the beans and cook them for a while, smashing them with a potato masher. That's how my mom does it and they are pretty good. I just use regular black beans in my enchiladas though

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Do you mind posting your enchilada recipe?

Actually, why don't we start a new thread for post partum freezer recipes? That way we can all share and swap recipes.

I'll probably start cooking after we move. It doesn't make any sense to stock the freezer now since I'll just have to empty it in three weeks.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
isn't it a tad too early for freezing stuff? all the recipes i have seen for freezing say to use within 2 months.

we have a deep freeze, so i figured i'd start later next month.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'm going to wait to freeze stuff. Last pregnancy my in-laws made us almost a months worth of dinners.

We could possibly be moving so I am not thinking yet about food. Also, we are getting a Ayurvedic doula who is going to cook us a huge 3 course meal every day.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The last time I was pg, since there were just the two of us, if I would have leftovers, I'd freeze them. As we get closer, I'll probably do the same. It was kinda nice to pop open a couple of packages of lasagna or whatever!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
isn't it a tad too early for freezing stuff? all the recipes i have seen for freezing say to use within 2 months.

we have a deep freeze, so i figured i'd start later next month.
I have a food saver

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
what's a food saver?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.jardenstore.com/index.aspx?bid=18
It vacuume seals the food so that it will keep longer in the freezer. I think my casseroles and other things will be good for another 6 months with this thing. It was agift last christmas and I'm just now bringing it out. It's pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
cool!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
i was just thinking tonight that i should get started on that, but i was wondering if it might be too early.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey hows it going Im not a mom but I am a father and i need some healthy recipes for my kids for yellow fin tuna They do not like the steaks that I make I me and my kids just went on vacation to puerto vallarta and did some fishing with www.puertovallartafish.com and we caught a huge 300lb yellow fin tuna we all participated in the catch and i need a recipe that we all can enjoy if anyone has any sugggestions please moms let me know
thanks

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ok we are going to buy a small freezer, then I will start. LOL. Last time I had limited freezer space, so I just grilled up a bunch of chicken breasts and made a few soups. DH had a months paternity leave so that was a great help. We just moved so have lots more space and a big oven to bake in so looking forward to gettting the freezer stocked (once we get it)
Kathryn

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by seann View Post
hey hows it going Im not a mom but I am a father and i need some healthy recipes for my kids for yellow fin tuna They do not like the steaks that I make I me and my kids just went on vacation to puerto vallarta and did some fishing with www.puertovallartafish.com and we caught a huge 300lb yellow fin tuna we all participated in the catch and i need a recipe that we all can enjoy if anyone has any sugggestions please moms let me know
thanks

you may want to be careful feeding this fish to your kids.

http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?s...age&group=Tuna

1 - 15 of 15 Posts