Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for my 38 weeks appointment.I'm 2 and a half cm open,baby's head isn't engaged yet.They did the group b strep test too and send me for NST.
Baby's HR was very high.Above 160 ALL the time.She moved a lot too and the NST was considered reactive.However the nurse was super rude and didn't have time to check it and explain me why the HB is so high all the sudden.

All the unexplained spotting, my anxiety, the high HR and many other lil stuff convinced my doctor that they should induce me asap.

I feel bad about it.. it's like i rush the baby to get out and she's not ready.In same time i know i will be more calm once she's here.I don't know what to do..

Dh thinks it's better if i do what the doc says as he can't stand to see me nervous like this.
Has anyone here had experience with inductions and if so, expect the risk of c-s,what r the other ones?

I just needed lil vent.Thanks for reading girls
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,107 Posts
DDC Crashing.....

I've been induced 5 times. My last was the only one that ended in C/S, and that was only because of uterine rupture.

With DD1, my cervix was long and closed and hard, not ripe at all, she came out fine.

DD2, same, long, hard, closed, 24 hours later baby was here, vaginally.

DS1, same, long soft, a finger tip dialated, 12 hours later, with PIT he was here and fine.

DD3, 2cm, baby came out 19 hours later.

My point is, sure there's a small risk of C/S but even with my NON favorable cervix and all the "things" that could've happened, nothing did. 5 inductions and only my last was C/S, the rate is low and if you are already 2cm, you will be 100% fine, the chance of C/S when you are already 2cm is very low. the risk is higher if your cervix is hard and closed.

Good Luck mama!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,666 Posts
I had NST's last time. DS's HR was in the 160s the whole time for one of the appointments. They had me go in for one of those U/S tests (ETA: biophysical profile) and DS did not move the whole 10 minute "test". So we failed. And I had to be induced RIGHT AWAY! They did not even want me to go home and get my stuff, but I did anyway. I was freaking out. Well when I got admitted, HR was in the 140s and DS was moving. Because L&D was really busy, they let me just wait it out a bit and take another U/S test that we passed. We got to go home with no induction, one week later my water broke and labor started on it's own. The point of sharing this story is that you may not need to be induced based on one NST. Oh - I had borderline high blood pressure, trace of protein, and some hand/face swelling, and was on bedrest. No bleeding though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
I have had numerous friends who have been induced and had NO pitocin, No c-sections, etc....I think that it depends greatly on your state of mind....my friends all went in WANTING to be induced (wanting to be rid of their craziness, stress, dr. appointments, etc.)...

Take some time and think about what you really are feeling and WITHOUT GUILT make the decision based on what is right in the moment...life isn't always about what you thought you'd do, or how you thought things go...life is about doing what is true and right in the moment...and you can't plan for the moment all the time! Breathe and listen to your guide (God, heart, etc. depending your beliefs), you WILL make the right decision.

I also think that the 2 cm helps! I was induced with my first, but my cervix was hard, tight, and LONG...I didn't want to be induced, but didn't know that I could speak up for myself (and my husband's grandmother had passed and he wanted to go the funeral and I didn't want to have him miss the birth, so we induced on the due date)...I think that all those factors played into our outcome of a c-section.
We've VBACed two little girls since...

Hugs to you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Ask your OB what you are on the Bishop's scale and see what their response is. This scale helps doctors determine if you are favorable for induction and what percentage of probability you could be faced with a Csection. Do you have other accompanying complications like GD, high BP, etc?

At 38 weeks, I would ask for another NST as a comparison to the previous one. I've had 3 so far and each one has been a different experience. It is possible your baby's HB was high because you just ate or had a sugary snack. At 38 weeks, our babies are starting to have awake and sleep cycles so this may have always been an very awake period?

I was augmented with my first, and induced with my second. According to the Bishops scale when I was induced for the second, I was unfavorable and had a high chance for C-Section, which I did end up having.

My advice is to take a deep breath, ask for an another NST for today or tomorrow, ask about your Bishop's scale, and see how it pans out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeBliss View Post
Ask your OB what you are on the Bishop's scale and see what their response is. This scale helps doctors determine if you are favorable for induction and what percentage of probability you could be faced with a Csection. Do you have other accompanying complications like GD, high BP, etc?

At 38 weeks, I would ask for another NST as a comparison to the previous one. I've had 3 so far and each one has been a different experience. It is possible your baby's HB was high because you just ate or had a sugary snack. At 38 weeks, our babies are starting to have awake and sleep cycles so this may have always been an very awake period?

I was augmented with my first, and induced with my second. According to the Bishops scale when I was induced for the second, I was unfavorable and had a high chance for C-Section, which I did end up having.

My advice is to take a deep breath, ask for an another NST for today or tomorrow, ask about your Bishop's scale, and see how it pans out.
I agree with this completely. You may also wish to ask for a Biophysical Profile (BPP). This can actually give you more info than a NST as it gives a bigger picture of fetal wellbeing. I have insulin-dependent gestational diabetes and I receive a NST and a BPP every week. I find that the BPPs are pretty consistent; the NSTs can depend a lot on the technician and how well the test is administered IMO. I was induced with my first baby and it ended up in a c-section. It wasn't an emergency but the doctor I was with at the time just felt like people with GD needed to have their babies before 40 weeks. I "failed to progress" and had a c-section.

If you are a first time mom, you have about a 50% chance of c-section. You also have a higher risk of breathing problems/NICU time for the baby, c/s can interfere with breastfeeding, it can affect future fertility, you have to worry about an infection in your incision (which I had and was no walk in the park), and you may have a very difficult time finding someone to let you try for a VBAC in the future, even though a VBAC is as safe or arguably safer than a repeat cesarean.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,794 Posts
DDCC



Please post some of your questions in the general "I'm pregnant" forum. I think you'd get a lot of answers to how to reduce your chance for c-section. There ARE things you can do. There are also a lot of women who could help you by relating their experiences with labor and induction.

It sounds like it's possible, but not definite, that induction might be a good idea. I would repeat the NST for sure, then discuss your options. Is your OB supportive? Does he/she feel able to help you avoid c-section? Often labor nurses or OBs will be very supportive of methods and techniques to induce and avoid c-sections, though you may need to work a little to seek out that support (it's okay to ask for a nurse, or nurses, who will help you in your labor goals...you don't have to stick with the one you're given).

Best of luck. If you are induced, please educate yourself on how to avoid c-section. The simple things I can think of include staying vertical, avoiding epidurals until you are a certain number of centimeters (another mama will have to give the exact number, I don't want to guess wrong), and having a doula or a supportive labor nurse present.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
I have been thinking about you today and I wanted to add, you are definitely not a failure! If there is a clear medical indication for an induction, then it seems like that is out of your control. I would be induced myself if there was a medical indication. If there's not, then I encourage you to empower yourself with information and remember that you're in the driver's seat here. It's okay to question! Either way, it's a boat that many of us have been in and it does not at all make you a failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
You are NOT a failure!! Just throw that thought on the floor and stomp on it! I was induced with my first--they tried for 6 days and finally he was born on the 7th day, vaginally after my water broke. My cervix was unfavorable. You are already at 2cm--ask what your Bishop score is, you may actually be a favorable candidate for inducing. Biggest thing here is don't be so hard on yourself. You have grown a beautiful babe in your womb and that baby is about to enter the world. You'll forget all these worries and concerns as soon as you see your precious one no matter what way s/he comes out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
You are NOT a failure!! I think you have been given some really good info/advice, do some research and decide!! Some things are out of our control, like the high HR, you have no control over that, make a careful and informed decision, will be thinking/praying for you mama.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I agree, failure is definitely not what you are! You made it through almst 9 months! That's great.

AS far as the anxiety thing, have you tried chamomile tea? It is wonderful for calming the nerves, stomach, whatever. Also, there are many homeopathic drugs that can help calm you. I would try that first. You really don't want to go into the birthing room tense and anxious no matter when you have the baby - now or later on your own.

Have you tried meditation or any other relaxation techniques? It is best for both you and your baby to get a handle on your anxiety.

AS far being induced goes, the risks are greater for C/S once you are induced. So, your doc better have a REALLY good reason for wanting to do this.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top