Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent most of the night with my 9 mo writhing and screaming nin bed. She has a blistered sunburn.
:

Friday morning I took the children to the river. I slathered my 3 older ones in sunscreen. The baby and I spent the entire time except for about 10 minutes in the shade of a tree. I didn't think I needed to put sunscreen on her since she wasn't out in the sun. I didn't think about the sun reflecting off of the sand. I can't believe I've done this to my precious little baby!

She is in a lot of pain. Poor thing. I accidently busted some of the blisters while trying to nurse her. How could I be so stupid!?!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've sunburnt my baby too, not to blister stage, but to red. In the shade once, and on an overcast day once too.

I felt terribly guilty as well. I have rationalised to myself that I live in Australia and unless we move or we don't go outside in summer, she is going to get some sun damage, I can't control the environment. I just have to try my best to protect her while still living a reasonable life. Sunburn once a season, due to a slip up, is better than not getting out there and enjoying life for all it has to offer

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Awww, mama..........
I know the feeling of doing something unintentional that causes our little one's pain. I'm sure there's not a mother here that hasn't felt this way at one time or another. I'm not sure what you can do to make her more comfortable, but I would probably leave her undressed, so the fabric doesn't stick to her burst blisters. You may want to see about getting her looked at if she still has blisters in the morning - there may be a healing remedy available.
Would it make you feel any better to know that I, too, wouldn't have thought about the reflection off the sand? Water yes-sand no.
:
I hope you both feel better soon!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I'm so sorry. If it makes you feel better, I could tell you about the time I put 9month old DS in a carseat infested with fireants, and drove home 20 minutes thinking he was just screaming because he was over tired and didn't want to be in the car. I thought I was going to lose my mind when I got home and saw those ants crawling on my baby. He ended up in the ER with about 80 bites.

Watch her closely, and make sure she isn't dehydrated, and when she has a baby, and messes up, you will have a story to tell her to let her know she isn't a bad mama.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAida
I'm so sorry. If it makes you feel better, I could tell you about the time I put 9month old DS in a carseat infested with fireants, and drove home 20 minutes thinking he was just screaming because he was over tired and didn't want to be in the car. I thought I was going to lose my mind when I got home and saw those ants crawling on my baby. He ended up in the ER with about 80 bites.

Oh man! You poor baby! I feel bad for your ds too, but hey, he'll have no memory of that.

Jeese - you poor poor thing.........

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It's not as though you did it on purpose, or wouldn't give anything to go back and change the day.

Maybe some aloe would soothe a bit? I second keeping her hydrated, too.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
This might be one of those times to pull out the Tylenol/Motrin. I HATE giving it to my kids, but if she is pain, it may be worth it. Poor baby, and poor you....don't beat yourself up over it..we all have our moments. And I would have not thought about the sand reflection either,...

Caroline

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Poor mama and poor baby! I think aloe would be great (especially if you have a plant and can just break off a leaf). Also try some breastmilk on the blisters that popped to help stave off infection.

If it's pretty bad, I would think about taking her in to be seen by a doctor - babies have a high skin to bodymass ratio and a bad burn on a baby is worse than a bad burn on a grownup.

Make sure her nails are really short and maybe put socks on her hands so she doesn't scratch...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
to you and baby! Oh mama I'm so sorry!!! I can imagine how terrible you BOTH feel!!!!!!! How yucky!!!!!!

But hey.......it's a reminder to the rest of us....I know I probably would have thought the exact same as you.

I hope you and your baby feel better soon!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
We did it too, recently, only it was one tiny spot on his cheek where we missed sunblock. I felt terrible, I know you do too.

We went and bought a huge aloe plant and used that. I also squirted breastmilk on the blister when it broke. Just fyi, when the blister broke and it got a scab, the baby rubed it in the carpet and it broke. It bled a lot. He didn't get a scar, it healed up nicely once I put a bandaid on it.

mama, it'll be OK.

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
Vinegar works wonders. Crazy, I know... but wet a recieving blanket with plain vinegar and swaddle the baby. It will sting for one short second and then it feels wonderful. It also helps toughen up the skin a little so it's not so fragile... makes the covering skin over blisters tougher so they are less likely to pop and pulls some of the water out of the blisters.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody. She's doing much better. It was just so hard last night. I have done the aloe and breastmilk. I knew about the vinegar, but the smell makes dh nauseous and he asked me not to do it. I figured the other would help anyway.

I like the idea of having a story to tell her when she's grown and has children and messes up. That makes me feel a little better. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
We went on vacation in April to the beach. I spent a lot of time reapplying ds's sunscreen. He is a very pasty kid and burns easily. I did such a good job that his skin was sealed up nice and tight and he ended up with a horrible case of prickly heat. The waterproof sunscreen holds the sweat in your body.....it was awful. His whole body was like sandpaper
: In my finest mama moment I had a blistering sunburn on my own back because I neglected to sunscreen myself.

My dad always says, "If you can't serve as a good example, you can at least be a warning to others." He likes to tell us that when we screw up. See....no one else who reads this will forget to sunscreen
It's such a crappy thing when you hurt your baby, but it happens

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
I did the same exact thing with my 3 month old about 5 years ago. He was under an umbrella the entire time yet I too fogot about the sand reflecting.
Poor thing, he was beet red. Now he is 5.5 and perfectly fine though. No permanant scarring.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I am so sorry for both of you. Don't beat yourself up, everyone makes mistakes and I'm pretty sure you won't make this one again.

That said, blisters indicate a 2nd degree burn and should receive medical attention. Please take her to the ped. if at all possible today!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts