Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Throughout this whole pregnancy I feel like I've needed to eat so much protein. The Christmas ham at my parents' house was actually appealing. I've been a vegetarian since I was 6 and this was the first time I can ever remember being enticed by meat. I didn't come close to eating it, but definitely take it as a sign that something is missing from my diet. Or maybe it was some kind of carnal instinct I had. It almost felt like that, lol!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know there has been some talk recently about honoring those cravings, especially during pregnancy. Like some posters on that thread, I'm a firm believer in the energy and benefits of food outside of what can be quantified by Western nutrition stats and I think our bodies know what they need. I also know that even if I wanted to, I couldn't bring a bite of meat to my mouth. Does anyone have ideas for serious vegan or even vegetarian protein and iron boosts? When I get these crazy protein cravings, beans and grains are not cutting it anymore. Tofu scramble comes close, but I can't eat it every day!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I can't do egg dishes, but eggs cooked into baked goods or otherwise disguised might work. I can sometimes make myself eat cheese but no other dairy products unless maybe they were also well-disguised? Thanks! I'm excited to see some ideas!</p>

·
Registered
519 Posts
<p>Have you checked out Vegan Dad's website?  He has some good recipes for sausages and other fake meat type things.  When I was pregnant last year, I did the math, and I seem to recall that each sausage has about 25 grams of protein.  Also you might want to try Bryanna's Tofurkey Roast. (Just google for the recipe.) It's really tasty, and much less $ than buying a tofurkey at the store.  The roast is a little labor intensive, but not too bad, and it lasts for a few days. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Another thing that helped me when I was pregnant and feeling icky but wanting protein, were chocolate peanut butter date shakes.  Each one has about 25-30 grams of protein, and is really nutritious.  Take about 1/2 cup of raw cashews, put them in the blender.  Cover with soymilk about an inch over the top of the cashews and blend until smooth.  Add a few tablespoons of peanut butter, several pitted dates, some sugar, agave or stevia, some vanilla extract and a few tablespoons of cocoa powder. Blend until smooth.  Add soymilk as necessary to keep the consistency blendable.  When everything is thoroughly creamy, add about 3 handfuls of ice cubes, or more to taste.  Blend the ice cubes in and Voila!  You have a very tasty and healthy shake.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>One more thing that I liked to have around was just baked tofu with nutritional yeast.  Each 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast has 7 grams of protein and lots of B vitamins.  Just put your tofu on a oiled pan, sprinkle with soy sauce, olive oil and plenty of yeast, and bake until firm.  Then just keep it in the refrigerator for quick snacks.  Have you tried Trader Joe's super firm tofu?  It's higher in protein than most other kinds. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My third little vegan babe was born in October.  The food thing is always hard during pregnancy (for me at least).  Best of luck figuring it all out!</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
<p>Maybe make some energy bars with lots of nuts, seeds and hemp protein powder? Make cashew-based creamy stuff (dressing, sauces, desserts). Make sure to get lots of greens too, I find it helps keep cravings at bay.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts