Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we in essence live in the dreaded age of "Big Brother" (hard to believe that Orwell was able to predict this back in 1948), it doesn't surprise me that my every accountable move (mostly on the Internet) is probably being watched or kept track of in some way. This is how companies are able to advertise products they think I'll buy (I never do) and services they think I'll need (I never do). But it also seems that the great and mighty overlords of the internet are aware of my doubts concerning vaccines, because every page I click on seemingly has a link, advertisement, or article along the lines of, "Vaccines are necessary for our health, so why are more and more parents being stupid and not getting their children immunized?" Never mind the fact that I'm childless and have never been faced with the decision of whether or not to have someone else vaccinated. But I think the internet has figured out that I'm not vaccinated, refuse to be vaccinated, and see giant holes in the argument for forced vaccinations in our babies, children, and youth. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Now that we in essence live in the dreaded age of "Big Brother" (hard to believe that Orwell was able to predict this back in 1948), it doesn't surprise me that my every accountable move (mostly on the Internet) is probably being watched or kept track of in some way. This is how companies are able to advertise products they think I'll buy (I never do) and services they think I'll need (I never do). But it also seems that the great and mighty overlords of the internet are aware of my doubts concerning vaccines, because every page I click on seemingly has a link, advertisement, or article along the lines of, "Vaccines are necessary for our health, so why are more and more parents being stupid and not getting their children immunized?" Never mind the fact that I'm childless and have never been faced with the decision of whether or not to have someone else vaccinated. But I think the internet has figured out that I'm not vaccinated, refuse to be vaccinated, and see giant holes in the argument for forced vaccinations in our babies, children, and youth. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
The cure for this, as for so many things, is shoe shopping.

They have to sell you something...that's what keeps the servers humming. But they're algorithms, they don't care what.

Go look at shoes...whatever kind. Fantasy heels with gold leaf? Awesome.

Your internet will suddenly become full of shoe ads.

·
Registered
18,943 Posts
Brilliant advice.

Also, if you occasionally shop for something you actually might need, ads will pop up offering discounts.

A few years ago I needed a down comforter. I looked at a number of them, saw one I really liked, but the price was just a dab too high. A few hours later, up popped an ad from that particular company for a 15% discount, which was exactly the amount it needed to go down for me to be able to afford it. Mind reading!

I get a lot of yarn ads because I'm a knitter.

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
Are you using any ad blocker add on for your web browser? I'm not sure if I'm immune ( HAHA) at this point and don't notice them or if it's my ad blocker making it so I don't see them. But I also web browse a lot if different things, including shopping for shoes lol. I can't even read some sites because I refuse to turn off my ad blocker and they want me to, to view the website.

There are also invisible web browser programs but I couldn't tell you about them.

·
Registered
18,943 Posts
Are you using any ad blocker add on for your web browser? I'm not sure if I'm immune ( HAHA) at this point and don't notice them or if it's my ad blocker making it so I don't see them. But I also web browse a lot if different things, including shopping for shoes lol. I can't even read some sites because I refuse to turn off my ad blocker and they want me to, to view the website.

There are also invisible web browser programs but I couldn't tell you about them.
I find discussions of invisible things really challenging too.

Reactions: applejuice
1 - 5 of 5 Posts