Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This all happened yesterday, but I was too shook up to write. I was at the park with dd and ds yesterday evening, and it was time to go. Can you guess what comes next? I always give dda 5 min warning that we're leaving, but now she's finally talking (30mo) she goes around saying 2 mama, 2 mama (2 minutes). So I knew she was gonna give me a hard time. Fast forward, I ended up being one of those parents that I would be judging. I've got tears in my eyes just thinking about it. I had to pull her out of the sand she was lying in face down by her dress and carry her off like a sack of potatoes under my arm (all this carrying 20 lb 5 mo old ds). She was 5 ft from the busy street 2 times, I had to lay ds down on the grass and run after her. Whenever I let her down, (it seemed like an eternity to the car) she would run back, laughing of course. I was almost in tears. Of course I can feel people eyes burning a hole in my head. We finally got to the car, and she's just crying, I tell her it's such hard work to be naughty. DD and ds cry the whole way home.
To top it off, I was talking to my mom and after telling her about how I had just had a horrible day, she starts talking about stuff I do not want to talk about, and of course, then I'm being a bitch, again! Oh, once dh got home he took over and I just crawled into bed and cried.
Feeling like a failure of a mother, failure of a daughter, failure of a wife. Just thinking everyone is always telling me how bad I am. Ugh!!!!!
What made yesterday especially so icky for me is I was so on the verge. I have never and will never lay a hand on my dc, but yesterday I felt I could understand why people do. That's what made it the worst, and why I'm feeling so bad today, because that feeling came into me

Thanks for listening. Just needed to get that out.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Oh, honey! We have all been there! Some days are just like that, aren't they?!

Listen, we are all doing the best we can--your kids are no different than any other little kids--BUT, the fact that you didn't beat her down physically or emotionally makes you a SUPERSTAR in my eyes!

Treat yourself extra kind--like you would your kid if she were really sick--lots of rest and treats and hugs and kisses--you deserve it!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think you did a great job. You have to keep in mind that you cannot control your DC emotions, therefore, since you're not in control of it, you didn't fail at anything. Does that make sense? That's just how I think anyway. You should be praising yourself that even though the thought came into your head, YOU DID NOT ACT ON IT. That is a huge accomplishment in itself. Big Hugs.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I don't think you should be that upset. I've had to carry kids like that before. You do what you have to do, especially in a situation where cars are near. She's going to be at a stage where she resists authority and you're going to have to be serious so that she sees you are and complies. I think you did the right thing. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I totally understand where you are. I was at the store with my dswho is 16 mo and he was throwing a screaming, kicking, hitting horible fit because I would not let him rip everything off the shelves. I picked him up and he bit me really hard on the chest. That was 2 days ago I still have a bruise and teeth marks. I was sooo mad and it is just so hard to deal with kids in a store in front of people. Everyone was looking at me and I am sure thinking of how horrible a parent I am. It was incredibly embarasing to have to walk through the entire store with a screaming child. I just left my shopping cart and went outside around the corner and let him throw himself on the ground and scream for a few minutes. I didn't know what to do. I would never hit him of course, but it so hard to deal with kids when they are like that in public. I feel for you, I too never thought I would be one of those moms who had to cary her baby out screaming. I still can not believe he bit me as hard as he did. Let this be a lesson to both of us in judging other people. You never know what they are going through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.