Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new mommy to a dd born last Sunday...and also a five yo and 2 yo. Life with a newborn has been tough to adjust to, and the lack of sleep due to fussy baby is getting to me. We've had family helping with the other kids, ie taking them to the park, getting them ready for bed, bringing us meals, etc. but I feel like I am losing touch with my older kids because the baby is taking 110% of me. Please tell me this gets better???? And what do your other kids do while you're nursing, walking the floor with a babe, etc?? Help!

· Registered
20,366 Posts
Be easy on yourself.

You will all find a natural rhythm soon.

· Registered
150 Posts
Baby's not even a week old, so don't worry, it's not like you've been doing this for months on end. Maybe get them involved, like kneel in front of the couch, put the baby on her back, feet towards you, and have 2y.o. and 5y.o. get on either side, careful not to crowd, and talk quietly, and make faces for her to look at?

My cat had no interest in my son, until he was a couple weeks old, and howling because I was changing his diaper before feeding him. She attacked my legs, I guess she thought I was hurting him, and when I set him down on the bed, she jumped up, and got 1/2 a foot away, and just sat there looking at him and purring, he imediately stopped crying.

So anyway, that would give them some special bonding with their new sister.

· Premium Member
5,741 Posts
Hugs and congrats on the new baby.

Each child will have their days when they seem to take all of you, it is just the new baby's turn. In the months to come you will focus on the neediest child only to realize you have no idea to where the baby has crawled. It seems forever away but it just isn't.

Enjoy all that help and take it easy on yourself. A mother's love and time both grow to include all her children.

· Registered
325 Posts
I know how you feel. I don't have any advice but wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I feel like I have abandoned my 3yo. My baby is 6 months old and I still feel like my 3 yo is on her own a lot. She has become addicted to the tv and I don't know how I am going to break that. My husband is deployed so it's really hard. Let your family help as much as they can. I really think things well get better for both of us when our babies become more mobile.

· Registered
517 Posts
It was like this with us too....we had baby 3 in June and the first 6 weeks were really hard. And that was with lots of help. You will find your pace and you will make it. I tried to make sure in the early days when I had help to let the help hold baby when she was happy/sleeping so that I could squeeze in those much needed one on one moments with my 5 and 2 yr olds.

Go easy , baby is still really young.
Anno

· Registered
2,550 Posts
It does get better. You will totally find your groove.

When DS was born each set of grandparents had one of our girls for ten days (we were also packing for a move). We moved when DS was 12 days old, and brought my mom with us. She stayed for 3.5 weeks and spent a lot of time with our older girls.

Our two older kids really enjoyed the time that they spent with their grandparents, and especially because of our move across the continent, the grandparents really cherished the time they had with the kids.

We have had absolutely no jealousy issues in our family with the introduction of new siblings. Several factors contributed to this, but lots of family love, help and support has definitely been part of it.

Try not to feel bad about being busy with the baby. Try to remember that it will get better and the your older kids are fortunate to have other caring adults in their lives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.