Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe its because I'm 19 weeks pregnant, but I'm really struggling with my 2.5 yo right now. Okay, this past summer with the encouragement of the nursery lady at our church I began working with him on potty training. He was very interested and enthusiastic at first. We picked out a potty, and he urinated and had BMs fairly regularly. We used the cotton underwear, and though he had accidents, he also had days of staying dry. This went on for a couple of months, then all of a sudden when I'd try to get him to go potty he balked. We went back and forth for several days and he wouldn't go potty without a fight. I have no idea what this means. We just went back to diapers. I thought we'd try 6 months later. Well, its now 6 months later and he has no interest at all. I know he knows when he needs to have a BM because he goes behind the sofa. But if I ask him to go potty, he screams and fights.

Not only that, but he's outgrown his converted crib. He's been asking for weeks to sleep in the big bed. Now that we've got the rails put on it (its a double size bed) he won't sleep in it.

Does he want to stay a baby? Is he put off by my pregnancy? What on earth is going on here? Somebody help!

·
Registered
184 Posts
My son sounds a bit like yours. We got a potty for him when he turned two and he was really interested in it and used it several times. I found that he was still just peeing little pees and didn't have that much control yet so I thought I'd wait a few months until after we moved to try the toilet training. Now he is physically ready as he only does a few big pees a day and he is very aware of when he needs to poo and usually seeks out a place to hide. But he doesn't want anything to do with the potty. When I suggest it to him he usally cries and falls on the floor. The only way I can get him to sit is through bribery, say he wants to play something with me, I tell him if he has a sit on the potty after we can play ---. He is happy when he does do a pee on the potty but he treats the process like torture. I don't make him sit for more than a couple of minutes and we always read or something.
Does your son need the rails on the bed? maybe he thinks it looks like a crib with the rails on it. My son is in a double bed too but it is low to the floor so I am not worried about him falling out. I am sorry not to have any suggestions for you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a girl but we have a similar situation here. She was showing first signs of readiness when she was 22 months old. She would occasionally pee on the potty and poop.

But now, although, physically she is perfectly capable of staying dry for long periods of time, she doesn't want to use potty. She sleeps on average 11-12 hours a night and she never wakes up wet, even then, when I ask her in the morning if she needs to pee, she doesn't want/need. I was also thinking that she prefers to be a baby in some way. I am also pregnant righ now and we talk a lot about babies. So, I don't push her, it is very counter productive, imo, if she wants to wear her diapers, fine with me. Very seldom she chooses to go potty and I tell her I am proud of her, I also ask if she wants to but beside that I don't force her. I really have a feeling that wearing a diaper is like some sort of a security blanket for her... A new baby is coming and I am also a baby.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in a similar situation. My 2 1/2 daughter loves the potty and her big girl panties. She will pee on it but it is like pulling teeth to get her to poop on it. When she has to poop she goes anywhere that she is standing. So she will stay dry all day but has poop accidents which are awful when you are out somewhere. We had to pick up little balls of poop at the library one day and then let them know that they needed to clean their carpet. Not fun. I don't think its the pregancy just part of that toddler process. Two steps forward and then one back.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think he definitely needs the rails. He falls out of his crib now, and the bed is fairly high off the floor. I guess I'll just keep going with the flow. Its so frustrating.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Try putting his mattress on the floor without a bed frame. If he rolls out, he won't fall very far.

I would just be patient about the diaper thing. Although you can get him to help you change the diapers. He is old enough to remove the wet ones by himself, and he can hand you wipes for the poopy ones. Taking some responsibility for his diapers will help him to grow up a little bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts