Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sitting on my hands right now, ladies. I feel early nesting coming on. This happened last time around, early like this, and except for cleaning baseboards and rearranging cabinets, I never really got it toward the end. But I have TOO MUCH STUFF in my house, clogging up my storage space, and I want it OUT!

My husband will understand and will say nothing when he sees the huge pile of stuff I'm about to cart out of this house...and thank god for it, because I think I might just have a meltdown if I don't get rid of this STUFF I have to look at every day.

Should I organize an impromptu garage sale, or just haul it off to the Sal Army?

OUT! OUT! Stuff be gone!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hey Tresa! I so know what you are feeling...I've been feeling it for the past couple of months...and I've just been taking stuff to Good Will or giving it to people who wants it. But my closets have never looked so organized...and even yet, I want to get rid of more stuff. It is totally addicting right now to purge, purge, purge!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Interesting choice of word.

I just gave away an entire SUV full of crap to my friend for her garage sale (raising money for her nephew's hospital bill) Felt pretty good! Look forward to it again in Spring! If you want to get rid of it now, take it to Goodwill or something...garage sales are waning now. That's why I'm waiting till Spring--because I think the crowds will be bigger and we'll sell more stuff.

There's a thrift store down the street from us just in case I feel I can't wait till Spring after all!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree!!! Luckily a friend of ours is having a tag sale that we might "tag on" to! I do want to get rid of everything extra---the only problem is that I have little energy to actually do the sorting! You guys aren't having that problem? And we did purge a lot of clothes at the beginning of the summer. Because now I don't fit into anything, I'd be likely to get rid of all my clothes!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Sing it sister!

The dungeon (aka, "the basement") is driving me crazy and everyday I go down there I pack up another box to set aside for Goodwill. Problem is, I'm too tired and lazy to actually pack up my car and drive out there. I'm going away for a long weekend and I think when I get back I'm just going to haul the boxes up to the porch and call VietNam Vets. They pick up.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I know there are some Goodwill-type places that will actually come to your house to pick stuff up. That might be a good solution if you aren't wanting to haul stuff around.

I had major nesting right before I got a positive pregnancy test. It was one of the things that made me suspect I was pregnant.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm also in the same boat! We have too much stuff (moved last january from our two bedroom flat to 2 bedrooms in my parents house! A lot of our stuff is in the basement, but I want it gone, we don't want to move it again!). I'm going to do one area a month REALLY THOROUGHLY (and using the guide to simple living as motivation, and, well, a guide), some will be garage saled, but most will go to goodwill.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Editing! Fantastic! I'm using it too.

We have referred to it as "crackhead cleaning" until now, but I like "editing" better. Sounds less impulsive, more methodical.

Which really doesn't describe what I've been doing...but being ruthless when purging is the best way to go, I'm told.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I feel like this also. BUT I am having a problem actually getting rid of things. I will put them in a box, but actually getting it out of my house... I would love to use freecycle, but I have had some bad experiences with it. I just need like Goodwill, Sal Army and anyone else to just come to my house, say we could use this and just take it. Just raid my house please. We have so much stuff we don't need and the only reason it seems to be there is to make me clean, which after this baby is born, I don't plan to do for a few years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.