Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blood sugar. I realized my extreme fatigue, fuzzy head, wanting to cry when faced with the simplest challenges, etc., are all the same things I get when I have low blood sugar. Then I looked at my horrid diet -- lots of simple carbs and sugars, and very little protein. The list of things that don't make my stomach land in my throat is pretty short

I put two and two together (not easy in this state
, and realized my blood sugar was probably all messed up. I stopped at the health food store today and picked up a protein powder. Mixed it up, drank it (it was surprisingly delicious), and felt almost normal within about 30 minutes. Almost
. I still have food aversions and waves of nausea and am tired ... but I don't feel like I'm about ready to die. Which is a huge improvement

Sadly, I can tell the effect is starting to wear off (I drank the shake maybe 4 hours ago?). I'm going to call my midwife tomorrow and see what a good amount of protein is for a day, then divvy up the shake to achieve that amount in small doses spread throughout the day.

There's hope I may survive the first trimester yet!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am right there with you on the diet. You've inspired me to visit Fruiful Yield today and frab a protien shake! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing....I have been *thinking* about getting a protien powder, but my fuzzy head is having a hard time getting my feet going in the right direction!
:

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Continuing the positive trend today. I'm simply astonished by how much better I feel! It's like I'm a whole new person! I drank half a shake this morning, and called my midwife to discuss overall protein intake. She urged me to increase my water consumption to help my body deal with the protein, but other than that, she's fine with it. We decided that I will start with 4 half shakes a day (so a total of 40 g of protein/day), but if that doesn't seem like enough, she said I could go even higher.

We did agree that it's best to get nutrition from food, and this shake is essentially empty calories (104 calories per 20 g of protein), so as soon as my food aversions go away and I can eat normally again, I will stop drinking the shakes.

I hope you guys see some improvement too

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
My midwife said protein is key as well. And I am starting to make a link....if I eat well and force myself to ignore the nausea, get off my ass and go out the door, I start to feel pretty good! I have been wondering the last couple of days why I am feeling so well already, this got me worried and a little down, so I ate crappy brownies and stayed in all day today. And now I feel like I'm gonna hurl! As Oprah would say, a light bulb moment for me
Tomorrow we are going out somewhere and I am going to enjoy NOT feeling sick instead of worrying there is something wrong!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.