Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have large pile of unfolded laundry. It will get folded eventually.
Normally I'd stress about it and focus all my energy on dealing with it.

Which is fine but it means nothing else gets done and I've been avoiding cleaning because I'm always trying to catch up on the laundry.

i've decided since the laundry is in a place where it isn't bothering anyone and it's not in the way I'd be better off focusing my energies elsewhere.

I think a pile of unfolded laundry is forgivalbe if the rest of the house is decent. If someone does complain or think badly well, it's only a pile of clean laundry, what's their problem? If worse comes to worse we could always put it in the dressers unfolded.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
We don't fold hardly anything anymore, with the exceptions of towels that go in the guest bathroom. We hang it up or have a drawer or cabinet for it where it doesn't get seen. I just could never wrap my head around the concept of folding a towel, underwear, etc. Anything that shouldn't get wrinkled, gets hung (like jeans).

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
The only thing I fold are towels. Everything else gets hung up...other stuff like socks/underwear just go in a drawer. Folding is such a pain!
:

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
The only thing I fold are towels. Everything else gets hung up...other stuff like socks/underwear just go in a drawer. Folding is such a pain!
:

Ah, but do you match your socks?
I used to not, but DH convinced me that it really was better. I could still go either way.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Okay an odd place to start posting in this forum. But, as I am sitting in my living room with 6 baskets of unfolded laudry surrounding me, this thread caught my attention.

Do you "hangers" have huge closets or what? What about t-shirts? I would relly like to get a handle on this too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For me it's better to do one load a day completely. Wash/dry/put away.

In the past when I've left laundry in baskets -

It got scattered everywhere as people dug through their basket (I sorted into color coded baskets). Stuff on the floor, no one knows if its clean, it ends up back in the hamper, creating more wash for me.

or

The cats slept in the baskets full of clean clothes covering them with cat hair and the occasional hair ball - ewwwww!

I'm sticking to the one load a day so I can finish at least one thing in my life!

We decluttered clothes too and now have room to put them away.

Best wishes to you!

bj

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I hang most of my things- shorts (use pants hangers), jeans, shirts, robes, dresses, etc. I "fold" socks, underwear and anything misc.

My closet is a regular apartment sized closet. that said- it looks like it's about to burst BECAUSE I hang everything. This closet include ALL of DH's things aside from socks and boxers, and some of DD's things are in our closet because if we're in a rush to go we dont want to go to her room to get her ready when we can all get ready in one room. (yes I'm lazy)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyj View Post

It got scattered everywhere as people dug through their basket (I sorted into color coded baskets). Stuff on the floor, no one knows if its clean, it ends up back in the hamper, creating more wash for me.

or

The cats slept in the baskets full of clean clothes covering them with cat hair and the occasional hair ball - ewwwww!

I'm sticking to the one load a day so I can finish at least one thing in my life!
Oh I hear you on that one! Baskets wouldn't work for me for the above reasons.

If I didn't have an "out of the way" spot to leave it I wouldn't be able to leave it at all.

It's best for me too when I can get a load put away right away but I'm not there yet

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyj View Post

or

We decluttered clothes too and now have room to put them away.

Best wishes to you!

bj
This is how we are too. And I am allergic to my sweet laundry sleeping cats. We are just getting to the one load of laundry a day. It is working well. I am slowly working into the habit of one load of laundry and one load of dishes every day. It is becoming much easier. And then I will start with other things, like vacumming daily, cleaning one room daily. I think I heard it takes like 3 weeks, a month? to get into a habit of something and it becomes easy. I am finding this to be true. And we are another family who hangs everything. We have a dresser for undies, socks and my dhs work undershirts. We do have a bigger closet in this house, but we have done it with small closets before, it is just a matter of only putting out what you wear.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I have started doing 2 loads a day (pretty soon it should be 1 once I catch up, LOL) and I wash/dry AND then put the load away. So much easier, and faster. It only takes about 10min to fold and put away. Otherwise I have to deal with doing laundry all day and that alone makes me not want to fold or put it away, then I spend an hour or so folding (which I have to do in order to sort it into the 5 family member piles) and then another hour or so putting it away. So much easier to only spend 10min twice a day doing laundry.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
1 load a day here...otherwise I feel overwhelmed by the piles of clean laundry and they end up sitting there, getting knocked about, falling on the floor, having to be rewashed, etc.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I need to do one load a day- but I also need to stop stressing about laundry. I've gotten rid of as much clothes as I can for right now (I'm down to a very small cupboard now- with off season in storage)- but I still feel buried in dirty clothes and piles of clean to be folded. Maybe I'll go no-fold.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think the key is having less clothing to start with. My husband and I have enough clothes that by the time our 1 wicker hamper is overflowing, we will be out of laundry if it isn't washed and put away within the next few days. No socks, no underwear, no undershirts for hubby etc. Of course we still have a few extra pants and shirts, but I find that keeping the number of clothing down really helps with this. We each have three towels we go through, so that by the time it is wash day, there is a whole load. We each start using a new towel every three days.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I fold all of our laundry as I take it out of the dryer. If I put it all in a basket to fold "later", it never gets done. So, I fold each piece as I take it out of the dryer. Then I take the basket and put everything away right then. If I wait it will sit in the basket for days...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I fold each basket as it comes out. I LOVE folding in part because it is a task that is easy to get done and finished unlike sweeping which around here is neverending. For my dd I have a fabric hanging holder for shoes (I think) that hangs on a coathanger and has clear plastic pockets and all her underwear and socks go in there. I have an untidy house but my drawers and closets are super organized.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marybethorama View Post
The laundry is folded!

One room is clean

Another room is partially clean (it won't take long to finish) and the dishes are done.

If you really get on a roll, I have about three loads here that need to be folded

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Hanging things is a PITB. Folding things means popping in a video from the library, folding the clothes, watching the rest of the movie, and then taking the basket to the bedroom and putting things into drawers.

I don't fold underwear or pair up dh's socks.

When I used to try to hang my pants what ended up happening is that the laundry basket became my pant's drawer.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts