Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my life is crazily hectic and I hadn't managed to make it to the Farmer's Market yet this year. I just went tonight, for the first time, and WAHOO!! Including me and dd, there were six, count 'em, SIX babywearers there!!

My dd was in our Maya Wrap in the hip carry (and I was pushing the huge stroller that came with the bucket - those strollers sure do make good carts for all of our bags of yummy produce!!). There were two women with their babies in Baby Bjorn-ish carriers, one with a Didymos pouch using a kangaroo carry, a father with his little one in a back carrier, and an acquiantience of mine that I haven't seen in about six years, carrying his diaperless baby boy facing outwards on his chest using a rebozo.

The whole thing was just awesome. My dd is almost 11 months, and the entire time since she's been born I've seen only ONE other babywearer. I was so excited. One of the Bjorn mamas and I started talking and comparing notes, she has a Maya but had been having trouble with it so I gave her some hints. Her husband wants a wrap for him, too, so we roped the father with the back carrier into that conversation.

And my friend from way back, he invited me and dd to his and his SO's place for a bbq this Sunday. I can't go, but I'm gonna hook up with them at some point soon. They are totally NP, doing the EC thing and unschooling their older dc and the whole works.

I have so few parenting friends IRL, it just made my whole night. Week. Month. Maybe even my year.

Thanks for letting me be giddy!!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
So cool! I rarely see babywearers IRL so when I do , like you, I get super excited. I was at Mall of America and saw a mom sporting a OTSBH and I wanted to jump up and run over and meet her. I had to hold my self back though because Mac was Mastering the ups and downs of a bench at the moment. LOL>

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
That's so cool! I always try and talk to the few babywearers I see IRL, but I must come off as overeager or something, b/c I scare them away! Especially now that Aaron wants to walk all the time instead of being carried (silly boy!)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Oh how exciting for you! We almost moved to IC...but moved to Des Moines instead 3 weeks ago. I want some crunchy friends too! Send them westward!

I was sitting in the car waiting for my DH to come out of Kinko's and I saw a lady with a Didymos so I grabbed DD from the carseat and ran in and talked to her
We didn't exchange names or anything, but it was fun to see someone else with a wrap on.

We need to start a babywearing group in IOWA so we can meet each other!

Oh, and I am so jealous that you have a great co-op in IC...I want one in DM!

·
Registered
234 Posts
That rocks! I've noticed more and more people wearing their babes lately... Even DH said he saw 3 different women at target in our town one day slinging away... Finally! People are catching on!!

·
Banned
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sara--

I'm from around here originally, but keep on moving away and coming back, moving away and coming back.
I always tell out-of-staters that if you HAVE to be in Iowa, I.C. is the place to be.
But D.M. is always always ranking super high on family-friendly cities to live, so I guess your choice is okay too. LOL.

Yes, thank goddess for the New Pioneer Co-op here. I'm also looking into renting a room for dd and I to live in at a housing co-op here, which could be interesting.

Wheee, go slingers!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
We belong to a large AP homeschool group, so dd (almost 4) is used to seeing people baby wearing. So everytime we are out and see someone with a sling, she will whisper to me, "Mama, is that one of our friends?" lol!!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Woo hoo! thats great! I have seen several worn babies in my neighbourhood already! granted most of them seem to be front packs as in bjorns and snuggly variety..(general walmart fare) its still great!
Is it not wonderful when you can find people who are truly on the same page as you? and you really *connect*! I know personally how hard it can be to find people who are, for lack of a better term *crunchy*...you know the ones that really grok the homeschooling/unschooling, homebirthing...in arms parenting thing! LOL I am finding that the term AP really is not defining what I consider to be crunchy..but its still pretty widely used as an overall scenery! LOL kwim? since lots of people who lean AP *tend* to be crunchy...LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.