Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by puddingpop
Lovely! What yarn did you use? (Inquiring minds want to know...)
Briggs and Little. It's Canadian, from NB, and quite inexpensive. Check your LYS. This was they chunky yarn. Sometimes their yarn has lots of natural additives (ie hay!), but this didn't.

The pattern I got from the files in the wool soaker group at yahoo. It's the Ottobre pattern. I think it should be on the net somewhere, or you could join the wool soaker group to get it. As I said, it was a little confusing--they say "at the beginning of the row decrease 2 stitches at each end for next three rows", when what they really mean is "decrease two stitches at the beginning of the next six rows"--that is, three rows in each direction. I don't know if I managed to explain that well, basically because it's translated from another language, the wording isn't the way we're used to it in English.

Alison

·
Registered
925 Posts
beautiful soaker!!!! i'm waiting for my yarn from ltk so i can start mine!!!

btw - i love your sig line - we called our son "the boy" for the first 3 years of his life. it was so normal to call him that that people started to refer to him as that too!!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure why we started calling him The Boy. It was very early on. It seems to have stuck. I was worried that people would start calling him Baby Andrew (he's named after my brother, and when other family members have shared names, the little one has often ended up being called Baby whatever--I have one cousin who was Baby Diane to the family when she was practically in high school!). Some family call him Wee Andrew, which is okay, but not Baby Andrew! I quite like calling him The Boy though!

Alison

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks for the yarn details -- I love shopping Canadian when possible. Yet another yarn for me to add to my wishlist...

·
Registered
925 Posts
i really hate to hog this thread but i have one more little comment - my cousin calls her son "young man" or now just "young". when my second son was born everyone wondered what we would call him - turns out my favorite knickname for him is "litty" short for "little little" which is what my oldest used to call him. now he calls his little brother "cita" for "mommacita" (not sure why) or "glowy" because he came home from the hospital with waloby lights and he looked like a glowworm!!!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Wow! I'm going to have to figure out that ottobre pattern. I had been avoiding it b/c it seemed to difficult to decipher. Is it in garter stitch? Oh, I want one!!! lol

J.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I added some pictures of The Boy wearing the soaker:

The Boy in his soaker from the front
The Boy in his soaker from the back

Rubidoux: yes, it is in garter stitch. It's rather a strange pattern, as I think I mentioned earlier, but it really knits up so fast, once you figure out what they mean. If you give it a shot and get confused or something, give me a shout. Best advice: go by the diagram, not the words!

Alison

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Well, that doesn't look too bad. It is similar to a pattern I have already done except that the other one doesn't increase after the leg holes. I think this shape will be better because the legs holes aren't as far apart. I thought that I was going to do the rest of my soakers in the F&F flat knit longies pattern (only made as shorts) but who am I kidding. It's too much fun to try something new.

Your boy is a cutie, btw!
Thanks for the pics.

J.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts