Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been wearing my baby around the house, but was nervous about going into stores. Why? Who knows?! It was great! No lugging her around in the car seat. Hands free. I got so many nice comments too. We both had a good time.
Here is a couple questions I have been wondering about..
-Some nights my dd, 3 mos, sleeps thru the night and sometimes she's up 2-3 times to feed. For example: mon night slept for 7 hrs, tues 8.5hrs, then the next night she slept 5.5, bf, slept 45min, bf, then slept another hour. Why do you think she's up like that? Each day is usually like the previous one, same amount of nap time as far as i can tell. My boobs don't know what to do!
my other question is that my mil watched my dd the other day for about 2hrs. when i got home she was talking about my dh and how i'm going back to work soon and if my dd wakes and won't eat from the bottle then he should just let her cio so he can sleep. she said this to me 2 different times. Now, my dh and i would NEVER do that. but now i need to find a nice/tactful way to tell her that i don't believe in cio and that i would NEVER want her to do that to my dd if she babysits for her. My mil is the only family around us so she would be the babysitter. how do i get my point across without offending her?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Congrats on getting out and about with baby!
It's a good feeling, huh?!

As for the sleep question, that's just babies for you! Sounds like very normal sleep activity. My little guy is 3 months old and usually sleeps at least 8 hours straight, but sometimes not. I'm just glad he's sleeping as well as he is, since dd never slept for more than 3 hours at a time.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yeah for you baby wearing, isn't it great? Makes shopping much easier!!

As for your MIL....sorry she is suggesting CIO.. Not sure how comfortable you are w/ talking to her about your feelings?? But I would talk to her from your heart and tell her how much against CIO you are and why. Give some facts on the damages of CIO. I would be stearn in your feelings if she has already mentioned 2 times. But I understand it can't be easy

Her sleeping pattern sounds very normal for a 3 month old, but maybe someone has better advice on that??

I don't have any good tips on taking a bottle, I'm sure someone will have suggestion for you, good luck

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Right on, it makes it so much easier. now that DS is older I wear him in a back carry whereever we go.

If that is how my MIL acted I would only let her watch my kid if I had a nanny cam in my home. I would never trust that she wouldn't use CIO if she feels that it's a legitimate parenting technique.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Okay guys... I've been around for a bit but I'm still learning!! What is "cio"??

And as for babywearing... isn't it great!! I love how easy it makes shopping. Ds is 4 months old and I put him in the "joey" position... he loves looking at everything!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faithful Mommy
Okay guys... I've been around for a bit but I'm still learning!! What is "cio"??

And as for babywearing... isn't it great!! I love how easy it makes shopping. Ds is 4 months old and I put him in the "joey" position... he loves looking at everything!

CIO means cry it out

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoNatalee
CIO means cry it out

oh no
, well with that being said... I would talk to dh and first - tell him how I feel about him doing this (if he doesn't know already) then- (if you think your mil might be bothered w/you ..not that I would care) ask him to speak to his mom and let her know that this shouldn't be done!
:
They should respect your feelings on this... especially dh!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faithful Mommy
oh no
, well with that being said... I would talk to dh and first - tell him how I feel about him doing this (if he doesn't know already) then- (if you think your mil might be bothered w/you ..not that I would care) ask him to speak to his mom and let her know that this shouldn't be done!
:
They should respect your feelings on this... especially dh!

no, my dh would never do this. he thinks cio is as horrible as i do. its his mom who says sometimes you have to let them cio. i think i'll have him say something to her, then i will too. just so she hears it more then once how we feel.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by samanthasmom
... if my dd wakes and won't eat from the bottle then he should just let her cio so he can sleep.
How awful! DH and DS just spent last weekend with my in-laws and DH came home with a big headache. He told me that all throughout the weekend, his relatives kept giving him advice that goes completely against our parenting style and they made him feel as though his 'soft' way of disciplining DS needed much improvement (right in front of DS!). DH said that he came close to leaving several times to come home early; his feeling were really hurt.

Now with our second child, DH and I are very sure of how we want to raise DD and DS. All I can think of is that, since I wasn't around, they felt compelled to unload their views because I wasn't around to object (I can be a bit too frank sometimes). They weren't even helpful suggestions, just a lot of combative put-DH-down statements. Thankfully, he kept things cool but when he came home and told me all about it, he understood that his family needed to get the message.

He typed up a nice, short email that stated that while we respect their outlook on our son's upbringing and that we know there is always room for improvement, we have a different way of raising our children and he quoted from the Nonviolent Communication book he had just started reading. We have not heard from them yet, but that's ok. DH and I have decided to limit our visits to them until they acknowledge that their comments were hurtful and they become a little more supportive of our parenting style. They don't have to agree completely but we do need them to be a little more accepting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts