Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
through this program

Here's the catch. They told me that in order for the children to recieve the free therapy, they would have to be enrolled in a public school, or a private school, but to get around that they have this loophole where the children can be enrolled in just one class. So....any ideas on how to enroll them in one class at a private or public school, ages 6,8, &10???

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They have openings and can take 2 of my children right away if we can meet all the requirements, and we do, except the being enrolled in school part.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
That sounds great. Are homeschools considered private schools in your state? Have you tried contacting any private schools and asking if it would be possible to enroll your children for a single course?

The link doesn't say children need to be enrolled in school. My understanding is that it is possible for homeschoolers to be eligible for free or reduced lunch. If that is what they are using as the determination could you just fill out that paper work and get approved through the school that way?

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Yes, if you're homeschooling legally then your children are enrolled in a private school.

dar

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, lets see if I can just get approved for free or reduced lunch at the public school and see if that will work as enough of a requirement for them. I haven't called on private schools for one class yet....

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I take the "must be eligible for free lunch" requirement as meaning an income level. When it's been asked of me on certain forms, I have checked yes, they are eligible. Because they are as far as income. I would think you should be able to qualify as a homeschooler. Is there someone higher up in the program you can talk to? I would argue this, myself.
I hope it works out for you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I find out more Friday, but from what they said, the review board doesn't consider homeschoolers because the program results are being used for a study, and they want the children enrolled in at least one classs in a school that is not a homeschool to qualify. I will still try to get in the door with the school lunch issue.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
This is absolutely AMAZING!!! Good luck with this. It's so heartening to see that vision therapy is finally getting some credibility.

How about enrolling them in a private language class of some kind, assuming that would be considered a private school. Or a drama class? I'm trying to think of some of the classes I've known homeschoolers to take, but I'm not sure if there have been regular "school" schools involved. I guess you'll have to find out first what their definition of a school is... - Lillian

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far I found a private school where they could take spanish or music one day a week. We don't know the cost though, they will get back to me on that.

When I asked the children what kind of class they wanted, they said "woodshop", arghh! I'm checking the Johnson county community college enrichment courses, but i'm not sure they will have woodshop for 8 &10 year olds or if the grant people will count woodshop as a class or being enrolled in school.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestbirths
So far I found a private school where they could take spanish or music one day a week. We don't know the cost though, they will get back to me on that.

When I asked the children what kind of class they wanted, they said "woodshop", arghh! I'm checking the Johnson county community college enrichment courses, but i'm not sure they will have woodshop for 8 &10 year olds or if the grant people will count woodshop as a class or being enrolled in school.
The cost of a class would be a pittance compared to the cost of vision therapy, though - so I'd consider it a great investment! I can't recall how much our 40+ hours cost (a lot!) but it can only have gone up over the past 10 years. We were extraordinarly lucky to have insurance coverage for the bulk of it, but that's rare.
Lillian

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the online price listed for an enrichment class at a typical christian school (yikes! on the going to a christian school...but) for one child was $150 for the first and $120 for the second child enrolled. 50 treatments of vision therapy for $270, plus some class of some sort....

The secular private school is the one going to call me back with a price, I'll bet they might cost more.

We're not going to find woodshop class...its just art, p.e., spanish, and that type of thing....jeese I guess we need to let them loose around here with some power tools. Heck yeah, I could delegate the large # of home improvement projects to them if they want...much more exciting than a wooden cutting board. My wheels are turning.....yup...ooo...I've been kind of overwhelmed with home improvement anyhow and could use help...it will be fun!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

50 treatments of vision therapy for $270, plus some class of some sort....
You meant $270 for the whole thing???? It cost us somewhere around $75-100 per one hour session, and we did over 40 of them. That was the standard everywhere - and that was 10 years ago. I don't get it... - Lillian

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, because the grant pays for the therapy, 25 weeks for each child, if we enroll in one class. It's the class that costs, so 50 sessions of vision therapy for the cost of two classes at a private school.

We went to the doctor yesterday. I found out that the chances are, since one of my children cannot imagine the piece of cake with his mind's eye (sorry for the gift of dyslexia-Davis speak for those not familiar) this makes it a high likelyhood that additional therapy that is not covered under the grant would be needed.

I was totally amazed that the doctor even understood about the minds eye, let alone that he had a therapy for fixing lack of being able to visualize. Who knew? My ds just told me about his problem not being able to visualize with his mind's eye a week ago. Before this, he just said, "I'm not doing it", I thought it was an I don't want to do it, not an I can't do it...communication broke down somewhere. ARGH!!!

The doctor was familiar with chelation, and was super impressed with our diet, AND he used kefir too...so we talked about kefir for a while, and raw goat milk. How cool is that?

Lillian, when you said your child needed 40 weeks, I imagine our children might need 40 weeks too. So, 25 weeks are free for the two of my children, if they can meet all of the requirements through the grant. Any extra that they would need beyond that, we would pay out of pocket. #1 that is a big if, like if we see the treatment making a huge difference, and #2 if we could get the money. I guess even 25 weeks for the two children if that is all we can do would be better than nothing, so we will proceed ahead.

There is always the chance that the doctor might need some structured wiring, home automation, or home theater in his home (dh could work a trade).

They will go take a reading test (Iowa basic skills), and if they score one year below grade level in reading, they will move on to see if we meet the other requirements. I don't know if my 8 year old will score a year below grade level in reading, she is pretty smart and already reading signs as we go along the highway, and reading easy readers.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Lillian, when you said your child needed 40 weeks, I imagine our children might need 40 weeks too. So, 25 weeks are free for the two of my children, if they can meet all of the requirements through the grant. Any extra that they would need beyond that, we would pay out of pocket. #1 that is a big if, like if we see the treatment making a huge difference, and #2 if we could get the money. I guess even 25 weeks for the two children if that is all we can do would be better than nothing, so we will proceed ahead.
Keep in mind that it's not like "exercise" where you regress if you stop at a given point. What you do stays put - it's a series of permanent adjustments rather than exercises. So you can accomplish an awful lot, and get back to it later when there's more money for it. My son's vision was radically different by the 22nd session. Did you see my article? It's about the changes as of only the 22nd session! But I think he went on to 48 sessions, and then went back a few years later for some work on speeding up his reading. He had great comprehension and recall, but was slower at it until the advanced sessions.

Lillian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts