Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty excited. I had the email for a reporter at our local (Vancouver, BC Canada) newspaper. I sent him the Info on Paul Tinari that I posted to this forum last week (man whose surgical foreskin restoration was paid for by the medical plan). I titled my post "Idea for a story". He never wrote back to me but this a.m. I got an email from one of my intactivist buddies here to say that we had a front page headline and photo on some circumcision story.

Also just received an email from Winnipeg Manitoba saying the story was on CBC radio, too. We DO make a difference, folks. Keep writing, talking, emailing. We'll end the insanity by Jan 1, 2007.

Here's a link to the coverage in the newspaper:

http://i7.tinypic.com/20upkra.jpg

exerpt:

Coquitlam man's circumcision reversed
Procedure originally done by priests as punishment

Yumimi Pang; With a file from David Carrigg, The Province
Published: Monday, July 24, 2006

A Coquitlam man who suffered for decades because of a botched circumcision has had his foreskin restored, thanks to B.C. taxpayers. Paul Tinari said that, since his surgery in May, he's out of pain and enjoying sex in ways he never could before. "It worked out really, really well," he said. "It's totally functional. It works better." Tinari, 48, is one of the first men in Canada to have the government pick up the tab for this surgery.

The B.C. Health Ministry paid for 90 per cent of his $12,000 bill and Tinari hopes it will set a precedent for other men. "I really wanted them to cover [my surgery] and it would be preferable if they would cover other people, as well," he said.

Foreskin reconstruction had been a lifelong quest for Tinari, who told The Province he was circumcised at age eight by priests at a Montreal boarding school as punishment for masturbating. In Victorian times, some physicians believed amputation of the foreskin was a way to prevent the "ills of masturbation."

"It was on a desk," said Tinari, describing how he was held down to perform the procedure without pain medication. "They removed so much skin, there was not enough to accommodate an erection," said Tinari, who has since become an advocate for banning non-consensual circumcision. As a kid, he thought erections were meant to be painful "as a punishment from God."

Tinari also suffered chronic skin infections and said intercourse was painful at times. Tinari, who is an avid runner, would even get salt burns on his penis as a result of sweat. "Every single day, I was in pain and this was totally unnecessary," he said, adding that other men he talked to had similar problems. Tinari, who holds a PhD in engineering, decided to become an expert.

He researched circumcision for 30 years and considered foreskin restoration, but the cost stood in his way. Then Tinari found the backing of health professionals. His psychologist said he would benefit and his urologist called his circumcision "one of the worst" he'd ever seen. Tinari discovered Toronto plastic surgeon Dr. Robert Stubbs, whose work on genitalia is widely recognized.

"There is no specific fee code in the [Medical Services Plan] billing system for this type of procedure," said a Health Ministry official. "In rare and extenuating circumstances, the ministry may provide coverage."

Tinari's surgery was a two-part procedure and he spent about four weeks recovering. He said that surgery has improved his sex life, he is no longer irritated by his clothing and running is more comfortable.

"I heartily encourage other men who are unhappy with their circumcisions to go ahead and do this the way I did," said Tinari. Details of Tinari's operation were reported in the June 2006 National Review of Medicine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by baybee
I'm pretty excited. I had the email for a reporter at our local (Vancouver, BC Canada) newspaper. I sent him the Info on Paul Tinari that I posted to this forum last week (man whose surgical foreskin restoration was paid for by the medical plan). I titled my post "Idea for a story". He never wrote back to me but this a.m. I got an email from one of my intactivist buddies here to say that we had a front page headline and photo on some circumcision story.

Also just received an email from Winnipeg Manitoba saying the story was on CBC radio, too. We DO make a difference, folks. Keep writing, talking, emailing. We'll end the insanity by Jan 1, 2007.

Here's a link to the coverage in the newspaper:

http://i7.tinypic.com/20upkra.jpg
To read the full article in the newspaper, here is the link:
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...859142&k=24992

Quote:
an excerpt from the article...

Foreskin reconstruction had been a lifelong quest for Tinari, who told The Province he was circumcised at age eight by priests at a Montreal boarding school as punishment for masturbating. In Victorian times, some physicians believed amputation of the foreskin was a way to prevent the "ills of masturbation."

"It was on a desk," said Tinari, describing how he was held down to perform the procedure without pain medication. "They removed so much skin, there was not enough to accommodate an erection," said Tinari, who has since become an advocate for banning non-consensual circumcision. As a kid, he thought erections were meant to be painful "as a punishment from God."
How awful..! I don't know anything about Canadian law, but I would think he would have legal recourse against the boarding school.

I don't know if the British Columbia medical reimbursement sets a precedent or not, but I think it is a good one. If insurance or medicaid pays for a circumcision, without the person's consent, it should also pay for a reconstruction if the person wants it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a very strong hunch that Dr Tinari is planning to launch a lawsuit against the residential school he was abused at (run by the Catholic Church). His is one of many stories of terrible abuse by Metis (half French Canadian and half Aboriginal Canadian) and Aboriginal children when they were in the care of the state. Many of the abused children have received settlements.

In B.C., we have not funded circ under the Medical Plan for many years and the College of Physicians and Surgeons in this prov has one of the strongest statements against circ of any med. organization. This will make it even worse for physicians who continue to circ when the babies grow up and bring a lawsuit.
Of course, our aim is to stop the cutting because no amount of money could ever really compensate for losing a body part.
Baybee

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
This is great news! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I saw it on the front page of the Province (newspaper) today. That's awesome that BCMed paid for it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4 letters to the Ed were pub'd this a.m. Love it!

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...ers/index.html

Stop circumcisions
Letter
Published: Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Congratulations to Paul Tinari for persevering and ultimately
triumphing over the lifelong punishment of circumcision.
No medical society in the world condones circumcision of children.
Most declare it unnecessary surgery and doctors are forbidden by law
from performing unnecessary surgery on children.
Circumcision is the amputation of healthy, highly erogenous sexual
tissue that belongs to only one person, the one to whom it is attached.
Thanks to The Province for helping expose the medical fraud and
sexual abuse inherent in this act.
We are a step closer to a world in which every child's right to
genital integrity is protected.
James Loewen,
Vancouver

B.C. right to cover circumcision surgery cost
Letter
Paul Tinari was allegedly the victim of an aggravated assault from
two Catholic priests who basically tortured him as an eight-year-old
child by crudely circumcising him as punishment for masturbating.
So why is this case being referred to by The Province as "sexual
restoration . . . paid for by B.C. taxpayers?"
This is the medical and obviously necessary repair of a brutal injury
from an alleged attack by two adults on a child.
When children are molested or abused by adults, the paper does not
point out that their medical care was paid for by taxpayers.
If anyone has an issue with this, go ask those priests to pay us back
the $10,800 portion of the procedure's cost that the B.C. health
ministry covered.
Jennifer Freeman,
Richmond

Sue the school
Letter
Once again the taxpayer is forced to pay for someone else's misdeeds.
While I understand Paul Tinari wanting to have this surgery, the
wrong people have paid for it.
Tinari should have sued the school where the circumcision took place.
As we have already paid it, the government should now sue to recover
the money.
We would be further ahead as a society if we start placing
responsibility firmly where it belongs.
Mark Schmit,
Sardis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts