Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi everyone, I got a really embarrassing question that I hope I am not the only one with this problem. So I noticed in the last week or two every time I pee it smells like to the point that I don't even want to go pee cause I can't take the smell(sounds gross I know and I am sorry). I don't know why this is happening, I'm wondering if this has to do with what I am eating, however, I am not eating bad stuff. This is my first pregnancy so I don't have anything to compare it too..but its this a common thing or should I be worried?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any insight would be great...thanks</p>

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
you have a stronger sence of smell when pregnant so that could be why your pee smells stronger hun i've noticed that when i had a bad cough that when i had coughing fit i would pee a little and often had a chlorine/bleach smell to it so maybe pregnancy does make your pee smell different

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
<p>Maybe you're not drinking enough water or eating certain foods that make it smell stronger.  For instnace asparagus and other healthy foods can make it smell strong.</p>

·
Registered
175 Posts
<p>I've also been more sensitive to the smell of urine since being pregnant.  Sometimes I want to run out of the bathroom it's so annoying.  So far I've chalked it up to my nose being sensitive but it could also be the vitamins/DHA we're taking, too.</p>

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
<p>I'm so glad someone else said this! I can't STAND the smell of mine now that I'm pregnant! :lol</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It doesn't help that I take a medication daily that makes my pee smell a little like burnt plastic (seriously!) and now the smell is just intensified like 100 fold... UGGHHH. I have actually thrown up from smelling my pee.</p>

·
Registered
61 Posts
<p>Oh, me too!  I don't remember this from my last pregnancy at all, but this time around it has been so offputting since the early weeks.  I am pretty sure it isn't something I am eating, or dehydration, so it must be the prenatals and/or the super powerful pregnancy sense of smell!</p>

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
<p>Are you on vitamins? That could be it. I'd start with drinking more water and then peeing with a washcloth over your nose (that's what I do)  You might want to ask about it too. When I had a kidney infection the only symptom for a while was that it smelled like ham.</p>

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<p>I am so relieved this is not just me. I seriously thought something was wrong with me. I am going to try drinking more water and see if anything changes. I was never really a water drinker but I know I should really drink more of it. Give me a couple of days I will see if anything changes.</p>

·
Registered
255 Posts
<p>You're also eliminating a lot more waste in your urine now, since you have a much higher blood volume AND you are eliminating the baby's chemical waste in addition to your own.</p>

·
Registered
64 Posts
<p>I was also going to going say eliminating more waste, the baby's waste is filtered through our kidney's and into our urine as well which makes it stronger, not to mention the stronger sense of smell. I don't remember this with my first baby. But I definitely have strong smelling pee this time. Drinking lots of water during the day seems to help. Usually the first morning urine is the worst being the most concentrated. But if I drink enough fluids during the day it seems to lessen the smell during the day.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was just wondering the other day if I was the only one noticing this symptoms as well LOL :)</p>

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<p>okay so the last two days all I drank was water and a lot of it and the one glass of orange juice to take my vitamins and I noticed the smell was barely there, if at all. So at least for me the smell went away. Thank god, it was getting to be unbearable.</p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts