Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the mail today! And I sent it right back!!!

I marked "return to sender" on it and "UNWANTED 'GIFT'" - and on the side where it said "A FREE gift from Similac!" I wrote underneath it: "Breastfeeding is free and better!"

I hope they get the point and stop sending me that crap.

That was fun to do...
Rachelle

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Not in your DDC, but I had to cheer you on. What a great way to let them know how their 'gift' is most unwelcome. Way to go, mama!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Yay for you
I bought something at Motherhood this summer and was glad to see that (at this store at least) they didn't try to get our info to sign us up for "lots of bargains and great deals" AKA formula propoganda etc.

ND

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo
Yay for you
I bought something at Motherhood this summer and was glad to see that (at this store at least) they didn't try to get our info to sign us up for "lots of bargains and great deals" AKA formula propoganda etc.

ND
I got something at Motherhood too, but they DID ask me for my address to send me "free stuff" I declined to give my address and explained that I've got no interest whatsoever in formula crap.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
not in your DDC but had to give you a

·
Registered
766 Posts
LOL, nice work!

On a kind of a tangent, is my OB's office the only one that does not give out formula samples or coupons to expectant moms? I have never seen them at my clinic. Is that common?

Our ped's office always has samples and they've given me some in the past, but the OB's office has been very respectful of breastfeeding!

Oh and ND, my motherhood got me to sign up for their crap. No formula coupons in there but what a load of nothing that packet was. Save the trees! Don't even sign up.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Ugh, I just bought a pair of pants and a shirt from motherhood this week and they kept trying to get me to give my address. They kept saying, but you'll get coupons! You'll get coupons! Finally I told them flat out that I breastfeed and cloth diaper...I wouldn't use any of hte stupid coupons. They finally gave up after htat.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Good for you - what a great idea! Now I'm half hoping I get some free formula so I can copy your idea and send it back, too. LOL! When I got it with DS, I donated it to the local food pantry.

Motherhood was giving out their "gifts" when I shopped there a month or so ago. *sigh* I declined. My doctor's office does not give out formula or formula coupons - she is very pro breastfeeding, and I love it. The hospital I had DS at, though, which claimed to have some sort of "breastfeeding friendly" certification (I can't remember exactly what it was) handed out formula, formula coupons, and sent me home with a few cans of premixed formula and a cup for feeding newborns to avoid nipple confusion (I guess that was the breastfeeding friendly part of it!?!) "just in case."

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Another
s here!

I went to Thyme a while back and they asked me to fill something out for a contest and I refused saying that I didn't want to get anything from Nestle... so the girl said that I could just check the box that says "no special offers" and I said "no, I will not give my name to Nestle under any circumstance" she looked at me like I was crazy...

I almost felt like leaving my purchase there but I really needed a new bra... and the one I found is SO comfy...

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
I got out of the whole Motherhood Maternity trap too. Acctually DH did. He was rather smooth about it. He was paying for the outfit while I was tending to DD and I heard him say "No thanks, we're in between houses right now and I dont even know our new address yet.." And the woman wasn't even very pushy about it. This was in Ottawa. I think she knew about the whole propaganda crap...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for your pats on the back. I have to admit I'm proud of my actions even if the mailman thinks I'm a crazy hippie! But I have to bring something up that I'm probably going to get flames for...

I've been told by several people I've told this story to that I should have donated it to a shelter or EEK! sold the coupons that were probably in it on Ebay. AM I the only person alive who thinks that if a woman chooses not to breastfeed that they should have to pay for it? I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Well WIC gives it to us for free so I don't see the point of going through all that pain to breastfeed". I do see that some women have actual medical conditions where formula feeding must happen- but that is so few and far between.

And by taking the formula and not sending it back to Similac, I certainly would not have sent any message at all to the company (if I did at all that is) - they would probably think that they have hooked another unsuspecting victim into formula feeding.

More thoughts on this?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got tons of free formula with DD and just donated it to a domestic abuse shelter. Those people have enough going on getting out of the situation that they're in that a free thing of formula can mean sooooo much to them, kwim?

Also, who knows the reasons that people aren't bfing? A friend of mine tried and tried her best, but due to a surgery to remove a lump couldn't bf her DD from that side and wasn't able to make enough (even with LCs and everything under the sun that she tried) to exclusively bf. So I always think of people like that who may have desperately wanted to bf, but not been able to.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts