Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are interested in flats I thought I would mention these as no one seems to know of their existance. I actually thought they stopped making them. My mom said these were her favorites.

I got them from Granitsmith of ebay.

They are aprox 40x20, have 2 very thin layers of gauze that are sealed (for lack of a better word) together at the edges (no seams). The raw edges where there is no selvage are pinked. These are not supposed to ravel.

I have washed them once and they are very soft. They break in almost immediatly, and dry in the dryer in 30 minutes!! These would be the quickest drying of the quick-dry flats.

YOu fold them in half to get your square that you create your folds from.

The down side is that these are smaller than your average birdseye once folded, so your tot would out grow them quicker. Other than that I say they are great!!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Actually they will work throughout diapering days. I used them exclusively for my older children from newborn through potty learning.

You just have to adjust the folding as they get bigger.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by clothcrazymom View Post
Actually they will work throughout diapering days. I used them exclusively for my older children from newborn through potty learning.

how would you do this?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I love flats too

I used them as dipes very frequently initially, but because my DP kept buying me (second-hand) fitteds, I got lazier, and used the flats as dipes less and less often. HOWEVER, I continued to use flats as soakers for night time diapers! Still do, and they're the best

I got my first set of flats from a Wal-Mart 4 years ago (before I knew they were a nasty company!), just before the birth of my first child (they were Gerber, I think). They were a single thin layer of birdseye weave bleached cotton. They lasted about 3 years from fairly frequent use. The ones I currently have were hand-me-downs and they seem to be much better quality - still one layer, fairly thick (but still thin, IYKWIM) and the edges are "sealed" as the OP said.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by clothcrazymom View Post

I found as my DC1 got older, I needed to add a soaker to make it work. She might have been more of a heavy wetter than your child perhaps? We changed her diapers after every pee (as we do with our DC2) because it just makes sense to me (I wouldn't be too keen about sitting in my own pee
)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
well in those days we didn't have doublers

We would just double up the diapers (I've quadrupled in my days! HUGE diaper). But yes absolutely you can add in doublers.

for the folds - I used kite folds and would adjust as needed for size of child. Then in recent years I learned origami fold which is great and puts a "doubler" where needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.