Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are people who live down the street and I get a bad vibe off the parents.

My dd gets a bad vibe off them as well.

I don't want DD (7yo) in their house. The people have a 9yo dd but she's small and less mature than you might expect, but has a worldly wise aura about her. The girls have been playing and, so far, the other girl is nice to DD, but I have a bad vibe from the parents and there's no way she's going to be allowed inside their house.

So, she asked to go into their house yesterday and I said, "no," I also said we were going to karate soon and I wanted her to be able to hear me call.

I call and no DD.

I go straight to their house and she's watching a movie inside.

I'm freaked but I must make nice even though these people are skeeving me out in a significant way.

So, I have grounded dd to the property. She can play with the other girl, but she can't go off our property for the next week because I'm so darned friggin worried she'll niavely put herself in danger.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I highly reccomend you read Protecting the Gift.

Read it with her (some parts not all). I think education is to be valued more than her turning this into resentment against you. Grounding always put the focus on my parents and did little for me. I just learned how to do what I wanted within the loopholes.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's only seven, I don't want her to be exposed to all the ugliness of life, but I know enough to know that I want to listen to my gut and protect her.

I'm not really posing it as punishment, rather more like, "You were told to stay outside and specifically not to go into their house and you did anyway, I need to protect you, so you need to stay on our property for a week and I'll see if I can start to trust you to listen."

I am *not* overprotective, some people think I'm underprotective because I have older children and, at that time, and when we were kids, kids had the run of the neighborhood.

I don't think she's really resentful, but she knows that if she doesn't listen, I will step up and protect her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts