Mothering Forum banner

I hate being outside

1K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  mama in the forest 
#1 ·
: I do not know why. Maybe I am just too lazy to gather everyone to go outside.

How can I overcome this?

I know it sounds silly. I am seriously SUCH a homebody. I always thought that I was adventurous......but really......I am pretty boring.

I want my children to be able to explore. I want them to LOVE nature.

How can I encourage things that are so foreign to me?

See less See more
#3 ·
You could read Last Child in the Woods as motivation.

You could have a special drink that you only let yourself have outside (like the toddlers who get a special toy when big sibling is doing schoolwork).

You could have a picnic in the park.

Meet up with another homeschool mom at the playground.

Check the schedule at your local nature center for programs.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I think you just have to fake it and just get out and do it if that is important to you for your kids.

I think the more you force yourself to go outside, the easier and more fun it will be.
That is what I have been trying to do.

It just is hard because my attitude still kinda shows and I do not want that to rub off on them.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
You could read Last Child in the Woods as motivation.
I will have to check that out. I have never heard of it before.

Quote:
You could have a special drink that you only let yourself have outside (like the toddlers who get a special toy when big sibling is doing schoolwork).
Oh....that might work.

#6 ·
You could start small. I bet there are lots of interesting things to see from your back steps. Observe the anthill, blow some bubbles, draw with sidewalk chalk, watch the clouds, soak up the last of the summer warmth....Start with something easy that you can truly enjoy.

Honestly, I think picnics are a pain with babies and toddlers. I don't enjoy that.
I do like meeting friends at the park, but it definitely requires a lot of effort on my part.

I do like hanging out on my back porch though--it's easy and satisfying.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
lather up with bug spray & put on dark sunglasses to keep the bright sun from blinding you! then drink a full throttle and be on your merry way! that's what i do!

#9 ·
Take a look at the decades old, tried and true, beautiful book, The Sense of Wonder, by Rachel Carson. You can read beautiful reader reviews there too.

"If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder." Writes Carson, "he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in." The Sense of Wonder is a refreshing antidote to indifference and a guide to capturing the simple power of discovery that Carson views as essential to life.
You might think of this the way a lot of people have approached math - learning right alongside them how to discover, appreciate, and learn things about it that they somehow missed in their own childhoods. You can also search around for nature outings in your area. I used to be a nature guide just north of San Francisco at a salt water marsh, a redwood forest, and a beach - there are interesting spots just about everywhere that have volunteer docents leading people to see things they might never otherwise know are there. I remember taking a homeschooling support group on an outing through a salt marsh, and one of the moms said to me afterward, "That was fascinating! I always thought there was nothing but a bunch rocks out there!"

This is going to sound crazy, but I think what you're describing can come not from laziness so much as from on an unconscious aversion to moving into the radically different experience of profound joy and elevation of mood that can come from time spent in nature. It puts us into a very different state of mind, and not everyone is fully comfortable with that kind of change. So I'd experiment some with exploring the question of how you might feel if you were outdoors surrounded by nature - maybe you just don't have the same snug feeling of security and lack of change that you have when you're just home inside. And then just push yourself out there to a specific spot where you can kick back and relax in nature together (picnics, short walks, and such), rather than having to deal with some of the issues that may come with jumping right into hiking - so as to give the little ones an opportunity to grow up with a different attitude and move into more active outdoor pursuits.
- Lillian

#10 ·
I love being outside, but i hate just sitting there...I am not a sunbather. lol

Plant a garden, or at least throw some seeds in a few pots-- this way you have somethig to weed, water, pick, & adrmire while the kids play.(Although many kids lvoe gardening). Start a compost heap. Get a chicken.
Of course, 'Get a chicken" is my answer for everything. Get a kiddie bike trailer, get a basket for your bike for treasures or things from the market. Get a really cool double jogger you love.
I dunno, but they are so pretty, and they make going somewhere so easy. Make sure your sandbox is huuuge, and in the shade. No more turtle sizes. lol Pour some buckets of water in there (wet sand is more fun) bring a good book so you have something for you while the kids play. Hang a swing from a tree, this way you won't be stifling hot in the sun when you're pushing. Get a dog to walk.
: Put up a clothesline. I love hanging clothes, and I love how neat and tidy things fold straight from the line. Plant cutting flowers.

#13 ·
Not if you live in New Jersey. We got reported to DYFS because we let our son play in our own front yard. It was an ordeal until they finally decided we hadn't done anything wrong. She said that until your kids are between 9 and 12 years old they should not be outside without you. I was watching him through a window. Now he does not go outside unless I can be out there with him which really limits his outside time.

Kathi

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota's Mom View Post
Not if you live in New Jersey. We got reported to DYFS because we let our son play in our own front yard. It was an ordeal until they finally decided we hadn't done anything wrong. She said that until your kids are between 9 and 12 years old they should not be outside without you. I was watching him through a window. Now he does not go outside unless I can be out there with him which really limits his outside time.

Kathi
That's not true. NJ has no such law...and if they do, please site it, so I can tell my cousins. Someone reported you, but it doesn't mean you were violating a law.

#16 ·
I second the suggestion to find a nature centre, arboreteum, etc that gives some guided walks and lessons. It's so amazing to be out in nature with someone who can share cool things with your kids.
Now that my kids are older we are more adventuresome about trying new trails but when my youngest was 2 or 3 we stuck to trails we knew well so I wasn't worried about what my kids would reach around the next bend if I wasn't right with them. It also gave the kids a sense of ownership of the space - they've built forts, named trees, watched the seasons change on our trail, watch our solstice tree change from season to season, etc.
I take my camera with me so I have something to play with while they are playing with their own stuff.
To make it easy to "go" we have a backpack always pack for hikes - bug spray, sunscreen, bandaids, calendula and arnica creams, wipes, magnifying glass, small binoculars, small sketch book with pencil crayons, trail mix, collection jars. We just toss in a few bottles of water and go.

I also agree that Last Child in the Woods may give you a push towards making sure your kids have a chance to connect with nature. I found it very inspiring/frightening.
Karen

#17 ·
What about being outside do you not like?

For me it's the heat, but if we're swimming it's fine. Or if the weather is nice. Or if there is a nice breeze.

Is there something you miss from inside? Music? Bring a portable radio. Bring a jug of sun tea. Splurge on the most comfortable lawnchair you can imagine. Gat a book that you only read outisde

#18 ·
You know, I am the same way, but not at the same time.

I love being outside. But not in the South and not in the city. I am a country girl. If I had some woods or farmland of my own, I would be outside all the time. But I hate it here in the city, it is dangerous, stinky, and loud.

And when we lived in the South it was just too dang hot, so I refused to go outside unless 100% necessary. Thank goodness I am back up here in the north!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
: I do not know why. Maybe I am just too lazy to gather everyone to go outside.

How can I overcome this?

I know it sounds silly. I am seriously SUCH a homebody. I always thought that I was adventurous......but really......I am pretty boring.

I want my children to be able to explore. I want them to LOVE nature.

How can I encourage things that are so foreign to me?
Yah, me too.
:

I do notice though that I don't mind being outside so much if I have other people to talk to. I actually enjoy homeschool park days or hanging around while DD has cheer practice and talking to the other moms. Just going out in the yard and watching the kids explore? Not so much.

I especially don't like going outside if it's hot, or cold or too sunny
I can get into a warm but breezy day at the park with company to talk to and playmates for the kids.

Luckily my kids really like to go outside without me and are old enough to do so (as well as responsible enough to ask for help if they want to turn over a big log or go dipping for critters at the lake).

I do worry that DD is picking up on my attitude though and I am trying to go out more and do more stuff while I'm out there.

#20 ·
Not sure if this will help, but here are my ideas.

I need a fenced-in and child-friendly yard in able to enjoy going outside with DC. It is NO fun for Mommy to be constantly keeping DC away from the road, off the mower, etc. So maybe if you don't have a really child-proofed yard, that would help.

Second, most DC will explore on their own. Why not bring out a chair and a book? I have done that, and sat our baby up on a blanket in front of me to crawl and watch the DC play. Of course, I get up to look at the "super-huge butterfly!!!" and all, but it is relaxing too.

Have you tried nature walks? We just did our first real one. First thing in the morning, I put on my baby backpack, grabbed our two edible plant guides and we were off. We looked up most of the common plants in the yard and ate some. It was really fun.

Going out by thenselves-- depending on where you live, ages of DC, etc... I think them going outside together with an adult keeping tabs on them through the windows are fine. There are even inexpensive walkie-talkies you can buy, where you can turn one permantly on and clip it to the DC, while you talke the other. Basicly like a cool baby moniter, since you hear everything, but you can also talk to them. Family dogs are good too, just for extra safety.

Or have someone else take them to a cool park with nature trails while you stay home and take a nap.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
That's not true. NJ has no such law...and if they do, please site it, so I can tell my cousins. Someone reported you, but it doesn't mean you were violating a law.
Believe me, I know there is no such law. But it still led to an investigation. And the final outcome was that we would be investigated again if he were outside again without an adult outside with him until he is between 9 and 12 years old. We're not going to take the chance. But no, the law does not say anywhere. We checked.

Kathi

#22 ·
I do like to be outside but not when it's really hot or really cold. Now that the weather is cooling back down we are back outside again but we stayed in a lot during July.

One thing I am going to do is get a gps unit so we can take up geocaching as a family. I think it will be a great way to plan more outside time for us.

#23 ·
Quote:
Wow I am gob smacked. Ah no I live in Australia where people mind there own darn business! People report you if your kids are out playing in there own yards!?!? Then your DYFS actualy look into it!?!?
:

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by joandsarah77 View Post
Wow I am gob smacked. Ah no I live in Australia where people mind there own darn business! People report you if your kids are out playing in there own yards!?!? Then your DYFS actualy look into it!?!?
:
In many areas... our CPS/DYFS is corrupt and pretty darn horrible.

:

Wow. I actually wrote that sentence without any UA violations!

#25 ·
I am a total wimp about being outside in the summer. It seems like such a pain. Right now, I am getting swarmed by mosquitoes whenever I even open the back door to let out dogs in or out. I am covered with bites, because I am one of those people who mosquitoes just love. I also find it a total PITA to have to put sunscreen on our two boys every time we go out. I know many people think it's not necessary, but we are very fair-skinned and burn quickly and for us, it's necessary. And just recently the bees and yellowjackets have become very active and aggressive in our area. And they seem especially attracted to all of the non-DEET mosquito repellents I've tried !! Today I was bit by mosquitoes and chased by bees when we took our boys to a park to fish. I ended up sitting in the van with the kids waiting for DH to finish fishing. Honestly it sucked. And I never did get a shower and it's midnight and I stink of citronella that didn't even work, and I feel greasy and itchy. I would rather have stayed inside.

However, I love fall, and I'm very happy that cooler, drier weather is on the way here. I enjoy being outside in the fall, especially after there has been a hard frost that has taken care of the mosquitoes and bees. I will make sure we get lots of outside time then.

For now, I'm switching back to DEET. Because our boys want to play in parks and I don't want to say no, and the yard needs mowing, and life is for living. So I will do what it takes to get us outside in a way that doesn't make me miserable. If I can take care of the thing that bothers me the most, the rest doesn't seem that bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.