Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to cry a bit.
DD's feedings have gotten worse and worse to the point that we caved and got a GJ. Now we don't have a choice but to feed formula. I really, really just want her to have *normal* food, but I'm getting more and more discouraged as time goes by. It just looks like this may not happen for her. I think I may be able to do SOME food through her G at night, but the rest of the time she will have to be fed through her J. With Elecare. :puke

I can't believe that I nursed my son almost exclusively for over a year, avoided formula entirely, weaned him at 3 1/2 years, can feed him a healthy diet with lots of veggies and other good stuff and my daughter is going to have to survive on FORMULA.

This sucks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That totally sucks! I know it stings too!

My first was weaned at 2 and 1/2, not an ounce of formula- eats really well and my second is surviving on TPN through a PICC line right now. I am frustrated but also thank my lucky stars that there is this option available for him. I know you know this but sometimes people need to be reminded.

Hugs to you!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Linden's on forumla too. We've had him on compleat pediatric but we're switching to a GJ on monday so that will be the end of that, at least at night. We haven't decided what we're going to use yet, but I'm not terribly thrilled to be switching over to something less food based. But like a PP said, I really am glad we have the option.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It does suck but I know ds1 wouldn't be alive without it. I remember the disgust when I first had to use it with him though. Hugs, it sucks when your expectations in everything have to change because your child has special needs.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post
I just saw the video on your blog of Charlie rolling over. She's so cool! I'm a closet "charlie fan" and just had to say how awesome that is.

I didn't know she was a celebrity with fans and stuff.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Aw man....
: I hope this is just temporary, but even if it's not, you know you're a fantastic mama to Miss C.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
Aw man....
: I hope this is just temporary, but even if it's not, you know you're a fantastic mama to Miss C.

I'm going to do what I can to at least give her *some* real stuff (starting tonight actually, I'm going to re-start food through her G), but in the end...if her GI system keeps going the way it's going....ugh I don't even want to think about it!

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
My SIL is the most adament woman I know about breastfeeding and she's stuck feeding Elecare to her dd too. It breaks her heart that pumping didn't work out for her (niece was born 12wks early, SIL pumped for 8 months getting at most 1.5 ounces a pumping session.) But her daughter is thriving now and finally is crawling at 2 and walking while holding on to things, all while being on a vent which has it's own challenges!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I never posted a comment on your blog b/c I thought you'd think I was a stalker or some crazy person, following you around from mdc but yet never having spoken a word to you on the board before (I don't think). Maybe I'll go post RIGHT NOW!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Have you considered making your own formula? There is a dairy and non-dairy version on the Weston Price site: http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html

My nutritionist friend made formula for her daughter with vitamins, raw eggs, raw goat's milk, olive oil, probiotics, etc. It was pushed through the G-tube. You'd probably need a Vitamix to make it liquid enough. Or a juicer for fruits and vegetables. Bone broths are another option for nutrient dense fluids.

Here are FAQs on making formula: http://www.westonaprice.org/children/formula-faqs.html

ETA: do you have a source of breast milk to give through the G-tube?

Pat

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I know it sucks, but for some of us, Elecare may be a lifetime...An only option for a lifetime. Just remember it might not be forever. DD's not likely to end up off Elecare anytime in the near future as she tolerates no food. Elecare saved her life, and I'm glad its out there since breastmilk and "real" food would kill her eventually (We're doing a real food trial right now to flare her, and its bad enough!). Once adjusted to it, it gets easier.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Just wanted offer a hug. Stay strong mama.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Have you considered making your own formula? There is a dairy and non-dairy version on the Weston Price site: http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html

My nutritionist friend made formula for her daughter with vitamins, raw eggs, raw goat's milk, olive oil, probiotics, etc. It was pushed through the G-tube. You'd probably need a Vitamix to make it liquid enough. Or a juicer for fruits and vegetables. Bone broths are another option for nutrient dense fluids.

Here are FAQs on making formula: http://www.westonaprice.org/children/formula-faqs.html

Pat
the problem is, you can't give real food through a j tube...

: Shauna. I'm sorry. I know it sucks

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Pat
dude, raw eggs in a J tube? that's a HUGE no no! and you have to have food that is at least partially broken down (digested) since it is skipping the stomach. I pumped for 11 months, then blended his food for another 8 (? maybe longer, no idea) months. Finally we switched to the dreaded formula... premixed in a can no less... and he started pooping, started gaining weight. It was lovely. Sometimes the natural options just don't work out no matter how hard you try to fiddle with them.

And some times it's okay to let someone just vent about it without giving them another option that will probably fail. Cause it really sucks to feel that guilt. And none of that would work through a J tube anyway and if motility is the issue, it's not going to change the way the stomach is working so a G won't work.

I am not trying to come off as being [email protected]*&y, but having btdt, I know it is hard to always hear stuff like this and I can't think of a better way to phrase it. So please know that I'm not meaning to be snippy. So mentally rephrase what I said with grace.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.