Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to wear my baby so bad when I go places or even around the house to get things done, but I can't use it. I bought it off Ebay and I have the instructions, but I can't get him in it right. He gets mad every time I try to use it. When I pull the end of the material thru the loops it rides up the back and pulls my shirt up plus I can't seem to get it tight enough around his butt and at his head. We both get mad and I just give up. I guess I will just sell it back on Ebay and give it up. I just can't get it right and it make me really mad because I wanna wear him
:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Slings do have a learning curve, so try to be patient with it. It took me at least a few weeks to get the hang of mine before I could pop my DD in and out of it with ease. Then I was so good, I could do all kinds of different holds.

Which hold are you trying to do and how are you starting?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Honestly I'd get a wrap! I never did get the hang of a sling, and my oldest is 4. I hate them.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yes, tell us what kind of sling it is....

Zolowear has some great tips on getting the hang of your ring sling- here

do you know of any babywearing or NINO groups in your area that could help you get the hang of the ring sling?

Personally- I had a hard time getting the hang of a ring sling, so I started out with a pouch. Really simple to use, quick, and very comfortable.

·
Registered
768 Posts
are you tightening it before or after you try to put the kid in?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Practice with a doll or teddy bear to get the hang of tightening, adjusting etc.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I hated my sling too until I figured out how to use it properly (ironically, by seeing two women on t.v. with their kids in slings...a little lightbulb went on...). I agree, get some help first, go to a LLL meeting or an API meeting. If you still hate it after learning to use it properly, then that's fine, tell me what kind it is and I may buy it.
I'm a ring sling junky.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's called a Peanut Papoose Wrap. I bought it from a lady on E-bay. If you go to ebay and type in Peanut Papoose Wrap you will be able to see what it is. I have tried the hold in the first picture but I can't do it. I put him in the wrap first and try to tighten it becaue I can't get him in otherwise. He is 3 months old and weighs 15 lbs. I may try the front hold since he has a little more balance than before. There is nowhere in my area that I could go and get help. I am just really frustrated now because I was sooooo looking forward to getting it. He is very attatched to his mommy and doesn't like to be put down for more than 10-15 minutes so it would really come in handy to be able to wear him. I could get so much more done. If you can look at it on ebay and help me out any I would appreciate it. Thanks a bunch...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm guessing it's just a regular sling, right? I found that if I start with the rings over my shoulder on my back, I'm able to get her in how I need to do it and then tighten as necessary and the rings fall just below my shoulder. I immediately reach behind me and tug the fabric down my back up at the shoulder. Otherwise, it will ride up on my shoulder and I have to readjust.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My son never liked the sling. I got mine on Ebay as well, but it's not the ring sling kind. I tried many times to use it when he was a tiny baby and even recently. He's always been a big boy (21 + pounds now), so it felt like he was kind of packed into it, and it looked really uncomfortable too. However, he did love a front carrier, and he adores riding in a backpack now. I guess I look kind of decked out in the grocery store with my big ol' hiking backpack, but I'd rather have him there than in a nasty shopping cart.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Checking out directions at another site, like the one the pp mentioned, might really help.
Also try getting the sling as tight as possible before putting your baby in. I know you said you can't put him in with it tight, but try with it as tight as you can. Once your baby is in try tightening by pulling the tail straight out, also lift your baby's wieght wiith one hand while the other pulls the tail. That may help it tighten easier. Once your babe is in you can do some adjusting and fidgeting while you walk around. Movement is sometimes the key to getting a baby used to the sling. Also try it when your baby is happy and content, like just after nursing or a nap. Good luck

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Psst Get a pouch.
I never ever mastered my Maya sling but moved on to other types of carriers.
Now I use pouches,wraps and soft structered carriers but of them all I love my Hotsling pouch for its easy learning curve.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As it looks like a direct ripoff of the MamaBaby
: , you might try Maya Wrap's website for MamaBaby instructions. Or email me in about a week and a half and I'll email you some instructions.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Wait a minute...you're trying to thread the rings while you're trying to put the sling on??

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Okay, great advice thus far. Absolutely go check out the directions at Zolo, and see if it clicks. If it doesn't, here's the big secret no one tells you:

NOT ALL SLINGS ARE CREATED EQUAL. One ring sling is not the same as another. I hated (hated hated) my Maya until I redid the shoulder. I tried a SoulBaby NYC and it was like magic (and how I want one!).

Some people like pouches. Some like wraps. Some like mai teis.

Where do you live? There may be a NINO group in your area, OR another experienced slinging mom who can let you try on different kinds of carriers and see what you like. You can post on your "tribal" area here on MDC, or on thebabywearer.com to try and find a mom close by.

If your baby is already 15 lbs, you may want to focus on 2-shouldered carriers, like a mai tei or a wrap (start with Kozy and BabyHawk and go from there). He's also about the age that back carries get much easier, so a "big bodied" mai tei like the Kozy may interest you.

Hang in there. Really, it's SO WORTH finding a carrier you can't live without.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabigus
If it doesn't, here's the big secret no one tells you:

NOT ALL SLINGS ARE CREATED EQUAL. One ring sling is not the same as another.
I missed out on slinging my DD because of a poorly made ring sling

I bought a 'real' one when I was pg with DS and wore him alot (comfortably!).
I will say that RS's definitely have a learning curve to them, but once you get it down they can be great!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I looked at the videos on Zolo and they helped a lot, I was able to get him in the tummy to tummy and the kangaroo, but he looks so uncomfortable in it, his little feet are all squished in the kangaroo hold and the fabric is just too tight on his little fat thighs in the tummy to tummy but I have to keep it tight so he doesn't slide out. The fabric is cotton so it gives some but he still doesn't look comfy. Maybe I should try a wrap or something but they are so expensive. I paid $27 for this sling but the wraps I have seen are more than that and I still wonder if it will be too tight on his thighs...ugh. I wanna wear him so bad, it would make my life sooo much easier. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
the kangaroo hold looks uncomfortable, but babies love it. we used it from 3-8 months. her little feet would be up by her face
. once he is a little older a hip carry is really easy too. if you go to a LLL meeting you can usually meet some other slingin mamas who would be willing to teach you how to use yours. i've never met a babywearing mama who didn't want to sit and talk slings for an hour

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hmm. If you make sure that babe's butt is LOWER than his knees in the tummy to tummy position (or hip carry), then there shouldn't be much pressure on his thighs... and the end of the sling should be hitting the knees rather than the thighs. Try that.

But- some slings and pouches have very light padding on one side, to be more comfortable for the baby, in T2T and hip carries. I'm not crazy about the slings with lots of padding. But like hotslings, they have very minimal padding on one edge of their pouch slings. I know the EllaRoo slings have padding also, and many others.

Also- if your babe is in a really good sitting position, with the butt lower than the knees, that in itself will help him stay positioned in the sling- so you won't have to make it CRAZY tight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts