Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just 4 years ago when I was preg. I was able to buy "full panel" maternity pants. Now, what is called "full panel" are NOT. They are designed completely differently with an elastic panel all the way around that doesn't cover my belly. I have one pair of jeans from the old days which ARE comfy, but few maternity blouses that are long enough to cover the "panel" part as the new maternity blouses are not as long as they used to be.

As I didn't expect to have more children, I have precious few of the *old style* clothes.

Kids these days!
:

·
Registered
649 Posts
I loaned out my jeans from 3 years ago and have yet to find a new pair that fit me properly. The panel is smaller, they are low rise, and they have flared bottoms. None of them fit me right and I hate the flare bottomes!

I do like that the shirts are not as long. My girlfriend loaned me a few that I swear I could wear as a dress they are so long!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I also love full panels! Everything these days seems to be "low rise". I wore a pair the other day that was loaned to me, and the whole time, I felt like my pants were going to fall down. Very uncomfortable....And what's this shtick with "perfect for the early weeks"?! Companies expect us to drop $70 on a pair of pants that's only going to fit for the first half of pregnancy (or less)?! Go to heck!!!!!!

I'm also not a big fan of how everything is so tightly-fitted on the shirts. I really don't need everyone seeing that my "turkey timer" belly button is sticking out!

Ahhh, that felt good. Thanks for the rant!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've been having the same issue with pants - I cannot STAND to have anything across my lower belly when I'm pg (I carry very low), and my body type does not work with low rise pants to begin with...but that's ALL that is out there in the stores. I'm not into the trendy, tight fitting maternity styles, either.
I've gotten some pants from ebay, and found some comfy knit maternity pants at Land's End, so I'm making due with those. I wasn't planning another baby so I had gotten rid of almost all my old maternity stuff ("old" from just 3-5 years ago, that is...). I was so surprised when I tried to look for new things in the few stores around here that even have maternity clothes and found that they have nothing like they did a few years ago! SIGH...I'm sure I'm a "fashion-don't" but I need to be comfortable first and foremost!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I can't stand the low rise maternity stuff! SOOO uncomfortable already, can't imagine when I'm 9 months I could even wear it. I was pregnant with my dd only 2 yrs ago and was able to find simple full panel pants. I only have 2 pairs though and they've been well worn!
: I really like the big granny panties too
: they are so much more comfortable than bikinis digging in down low (which they are already doing), but I can't find them anywhere. So frustrating!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I must say, I'm 9 months pregnant and I'm one of *those* girls who LOVES the below the belly pants! I have never liked anything on my stomach area, have always liked my pants to sit on my hips. I have a pair of HORRIBLE full panel (we're talking up to my bra!) khakis that my SIL gave me...ICK. I'm only wearing them these days out of sheer necessity.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have both kinds of pants. Some days I like the low rise and some days I don't. Blame my preggo brain. Now that my tummy is 8 months along, I have found the shirts are shorter, but they are from the summer when the tummy was smaller. I have some of my old stuff, but had to buy some new to keep up with my dh sense of style. He loves to have me look good and he is GREAT at helping me find clothes that look really good on me. The preggo body has thrown him for a loop tho.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is a facinating conversation, as I am preparing to go to LA and shop for a sping maternity line for my store. This will be my first maternity purchase, and so I sent out a questionnaire to as many moms as I could find willing to fille it out.

According to my research, women prefer the under the belly style just slightly over the panels. Of couse my reasearch is by no means flawless, so this thread is facinating. I will be sure to add some jeans with panels to my under the belly order.

Keep it up, I want to hear everyone's raves and complaints!
:

Thanks for the timely topic!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I felt like all the pants were falling down too. I didn't like the over the belly style any better though. Maternity clothes just suck period. My favorite clothes were regular stretchy ones (especially skirts) or in a bigger size.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by danav
I've been having the same issue with pants - I cannot STAND to have anything across my lower belly
Neither can I. I love all the low rise pants now...I just wear a shirt long enough to cover whatever is hanging over the top of the pants, LOL. I tried on a pair of the pants with the panel, and they felt too bulky, hot, etc. Maybe that's just because I'm in Florida and it's still hot here, but they were not comfortable at all.

My favorite thing by far to wear are my elastic waist hippie skirts...I pull the waist band below my belly, and it's the most comfortable thing in the world.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Regarding fit of pants: I'm just scared of the over the belly styles. I feel like it shoots me right into the stage of being a grandma. Big grandma panties no way. I think if I got frustrated with the bikinis, I'd just go thong or commando.
Of course everybody needs to vent. So here's a bit of mine...

I got a bunch of maternity clothes from someone and most of my complaints are about fabric choice, color, and cut.

My main beef about the fabrics: lots of the shirts were polyester. YUK! Polyester only works if you are looking for a shirt or dress for an evening out dancing, which I don't plan on doing anytime soon. The thing is polyester is never right. It's just too hot in the summer and not warm enough in the winter. Cottons are much better anyday. Of course if this were for evening wear, I'd go chiffons or other fancy fabrics not junko polyester.

Color: I don't know about the rest of the ladies. I don't want to wear white or tan or other light colors unless it is a crisp cotton shirt and NOT tight. I got a pair of tan/khaki over-the-belly pants. They look horrifying. Jeans all the way. Or dress fabrics in dark colors for the pants.

Cut: Under belly. Cause I have big wide hips.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have pretty much lived in peasant skirts throughout my entire pregnancy...LOVE THEM! I always wore them even before they were in style and before I was pregnant. I love the fact that I can pair a big comfy skirt with a t-shirt and Chaco sandals or a sweater and big chunky boots and it looks good either way. I can easily wear them under my belly but I also know preggo mammas who have chosen to put them over, too! And at 9 months I'm able to just wear a large skirt, so I'll still be able to wear it in the months to come after I have my little guy! I do have a couple of pairs of pants, but as I said before, I prefer them under the belly. And I'm SUPER glad that most maternity shirts are shorter and more form fitting now. I HATE to look like I'm wearing a tent!

·
Registered
492 Posts
just have to throw in a vote for skirts/jumpers and dresses for the crew that doesn't like having anything on their belly. I only wear pants to sleep in (like lounge pants, which were the unfortunate pair that I had on the other day--Old Navy velour loungers). Otherwise, give me something non-confining!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Oh my goodness, I was hoping it would get better! I have both "demi-panel" (think that's what they're called) and full panel jeans from Old Navy and they won't stay up! Plus I got the short length but they are still too long and I'm 5'4"!

Last time I got stretchy pants from Land's End in 1-2 sizes bigger... worked great but not so stylish.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hmm maybe it's because I'm pretty young so low-rise pants are all I've ever worn, but I much prefer the underbelly jeans. I feel totally unhip when I'm wearing the full panel jeans and they're practically up to my bra! I have the underbelly jeans from the Gap and I haven't had any falling down problems, although I do have a definite booty so that probably helps hold them up! I do have a huge beef with the too-short shirts! I just want some plain long sleeved t-shirts that will actually cover the elastic on my maternity jeans! Is that too much to ask? I got a long sleeved shirt from Motherhood that I'd swear is barely longer than my prepregnancy stuff.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
nak
i love low rise pants when i'm not pregnant.
i have 2 pairs of maternity low rise that i cannot even wear.
they slide down every few steps (no butt here lol).
they look good but they aren't functional.

none of my shirts are long enough.
if they are they are too wide and meant for later in pregnancy.

i buy mens shirts in a tall.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I hate both the granny waist and the low-riders! Everything bugs me, and I have no butt to hold anything up.
: I'm wearing a grey knit skirt with an elastic band and I keep switching between over and under because nothing's comfy. And grey...what a lovely color.

I've been thinking to just buy a pair of corduroy overalls.
: Is that so far unhip that it's been unmentionable?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I love, love, love my Gap maternity jeans! I got them when I was pg with my last Dd, oh, 3 yrs ago or so. they still have the same style & I tried to cut & paste but their site is having "technical difficulties." Mine are "Bootcut Stretch" with a full panel, I'm sorry, I know they call it something else besides "full panel" but I can't get on their site to check. They aren't flare jeans & the panel covers my ENTIRE belly, very comfy & is adjustable. No laughing......I'm normally a size 2Long so I got an XS-Tall & they're perfect! Hard to find maternity pants when you're a long-legged mama - I'm 5'9. there are some Gap stores that have maternity sections, also you can order in the store & I think it's free S&H that way + if you don't like 'em, you can return 'em to the store. they're around $48, & I should have posted that back in Sept they had a sale where all maternity jeans were $39, maybe I did post that??? HTH!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.