Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, I'm on baby 3. And I know, I know, it varies like crazy. So its pointless to discuss this on the internet. But.

I measured 3 or 4 over my belly button at my 14 week appointment today! I had been measuring myself like that but was sure I was wrong. That seems too high for even twins. Fwiw, I'm average height, very thin, have a uterus that tilts back, and consistently measured a few weeks behind in my previous pregnancies. So I doubt I'm much of a candidate to be so far ahead. I'm not exactly worried or anything, more curious about what she said.
She said I was pretty normal and that they like to see uterus at the naval at 12 weeks! I've never heard that and can't find anything online that says that. I thought 2nd babies and after, you expect to be at the naval at 18 weeks.
Am I remembering something wrong? Does it level out later?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The more babies you have the faster your body is just gonna be like, well heck, I know I'm supposed to go there so I'll just shift everything over right now. Don't worry.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Hunh. At 12 weeks you should be just able to feel the uterus at the pelvic bone, just sort of popping up, or even just level with. 18-20 weeks is at the umbilicus, depending on who you read/ask. Your fundus should not grow faster with subsequent babies - we tend to "show" earlier because, sadly, muscle tone just can't keep up anymore and lets thing hang out more with each pregnancy. Often, not always. Above your umbilicus at 14 weeks would be something to investigate, if you were my client (multiples, fibroids, cysts, etc). I wouldn't be all "AH! THIS IS HORRIBLE!", but would definitely want to investigate.
So odd - she must have had a brain fart or something?!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what I thought. I'd be surprised if it was a brain fart. After I said, "Isn't that pretty high?" she gave me a whole explanation and remeasured to show me what she meant. It kind of makes me want to run back to my old midwife group. But this was a nurse practitioner so she's not in charge of my care. And hopefully the midwifes know how to measure properly...
I thought there was a slight chance that it was 1 of those things where midwives all say 12 weeks at the naval and 20 weeks was just a very persistent myth.
My next appointment is for the midpregnancy ultrasound so I'm sure we'll see whats is going on in there then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.