Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew I would find someone new in January. But I thought I had till then. My sitter got called back to work from the IRS. SHe said she needed notice. They called her a second time, she told them the same. Everytime you say no they go on down the list and call back when they have an opening. The next time they call she has to take it or the fire her.

So, I have about 3 weeks. I have NO idea where to look. The boys are with her 23 hours a week. I do NOT want to do a daycare. I could put T in preschool but I don't want to do that full time. I'm not sure what to do with B.

Any ideas?

I'm going to advertise at church and at the local college.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think that those are two of the best places to advertise! If you are also considering small in-home care proivders, then you can check with your state's accreditation agency. They will have the names and numbers of all registered/accredited in-home providers in your area. Word of mouth is also great, so you could start asking around. As a last resort, you could place an ad in your local paper, but be prepared to weed through tons of responses (in my experience, some very sketchy responses). If you are looking for a nanny, your area may have a nanny placement service that can serve you up some candidates pretty quickly. Check out your phonebook for this. Best of luck, and I hope that everything works out!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Check out a homecare agency. They typically don't even start to place families until 6 weeks before you need care, and they can do all the legwork for you. Added benefits are that if your dcp is sick/on vacation, etc they will hook you up with another dcp (although not necessarily in your immediate area). The agency we looked into also provided excellent support to their dcp's.

Let EVERYONE you know be aware of your situation. Send e-mails to every single mother you know. Work your network, mama. You can do it. Positive self-affirmations don't hurt either.

I feel for you. 2.5 yrs ago, we planned to go the homecare route. There were NO providers in our area ($$$ neighborhood, nannies only). We found a daycare centre that we love only 2 weeks before DH had to go back to work. But we found the right place (I *think* a friend helped to pull strings), are still there and love it too. This just to say that it will all work out for you and your DC.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work for a nonprofit and I have about 15 in home places we certify (along with the state) but I was looking for in MY home kinda stuff.

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to put out the ads at the school and church this next week!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.