Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I just made a whole pot of chili with NO sense of smell! That was really weird. Luckily DP doesn't have much for taste buds, I cook weird, tasteless stuff all the time and he always eats it. As long as there's some meat (it's got chicken) he's happy as a clam. I'll have to go taste it after it's simmered for a bit, maybe that part of my head is working!

On another note, I'm miserable! I'm coughing and sneezing and have blown my nose probably at least 50 times today. I can only breathe through my mouth which then makes my throat hurt. My midwife said Vit c and echinacae are ok, so I've been going to town on those, but it has yet to go away

Ok, while I was typing that I heard something fall and DS say, "oh no mommy! It fell in the toilet!" Yippee! I had to go and fish a rock out of the toilet after he POOPED in it!

What a day

· Registered
3,526 Posts
I hope you feel better! There's nothin' worse than being sick in summer...well I guess being sick in summer while pregnant would be it!

If you want to try a natural remedy...there is always Tomato Tea..but I would use cayenne instead of hot sauce. I haven't tried this one..I usually use Apple Cider Vinegar when sick, our entire house does..and I can say that really works. Altho it is awful to the taste..but if you don't mind it or are willing to try, it works pretty good.

I hope you feel better soon, mama!

btw..if you use ACV..get only the good stuff like Braggs organic..not the cheap stuff at a typical store..go to your local natty food store for it

· Registered
413 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
Saline spray helps with the stuffy nose quite a lot and is safe. Being sick while pregnant should be against the law.
Yes, definitely--or use a sinus rinse or neti pot. I have sinus issues and when I was sick with pregnancy #1 (a huuuuge severe cold/flu in Jan. that lasted 4+ weeks) I lost my sense of smell entirely--it took 6 months to return and then not completely. I can't smell natural gas (very dangerous) and even cigarette smoke is "different" (not better!) The upside is cloth diapering is not really a hardship for me
Now that I'm pregnant it's going again. So take care of those sinuses!

I'm a little protective of sense of smell now--no point in losing it if you don't need to. . .keep the passages clear by gently rinsing with saline--you can do it even 4-5 times a day if needed, don't blow too much/too hard (increasing swelling, cutting off blood flow to your olfactory nerves) and get more help from a Dr. if you are doing absolutely everything natural that you can and nothing helps. My ENT really thinks if I should have started OTC meds after the first 2 weeks and I might have been ok. Oh, and absolutely don't use Afrin or zinc nasal sprays--as if you would while pregnant anyway but both have been linked to anosmia (loss of sense of smell) http://www.anosmiafoundation.org/causes.shtml

· Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uh oh, I did use Afrin last night! Is that super bad? I'd never used it before, but my DP swears by it. I thought I'd try a little bit, just so I could get some sleep. I'll have to share that info with him, thanks Ebeth.

Leslie--thanks for those links! I did try some ACV last night and this AM. I did the 2 parts honey, 3 parts ACV and 3 parts lemon. There's a bit of a zing to it, but hopefully it will do the trick.

Avivaelona-where would I get saline spray? I"m assuming that's not the same as any other nasal spray. We do have a neti pot and I suppose I should have used that, but I was being lazy!

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! I feel a bit better today, we'll see how it goes. I want to kick this in the butt so I can enjoy my pregnancy!

· Registered
1,700 Posts
Ewww!

And, hey, me too! I've been all snuffly and runny and sore throated since Tuesday night. Its lame indeed. As if I couldn't sleep before... now I need even more pillows to prop my top half up. And I hate eating because I can't breathe when I eat, and then afterward I've got that pg no-room-for-food-baby-AND-lungs feeling... I HATE not breating! Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. It should so be illegal to be pg AND sick.

· Registered
413 Posts
I'm sorry you guys are both sick. Nothing like a summer cold. They are going around here in my town
I'm sure a one time use of Afrin won't do anything, it's just a "link" anyway, I think it's more chronic long-term heavy use for some people not everybody who uses it anyway.

Saline nasal spray can be found at any regular pharmacy now as well as natural foods stores--they make 'em for kids, too, highly useful for little babies with snotty nose infections that are too young to "blow" themselves

· Registered
3,198 Posts
Yeah what she said...its right next to the afrin usually. There is a children's version called "little noses" or something like that, but there is also just usually store brand. I'm not sure if afrin is considered generally safe in pregnancy. I'm sure the little bit you took won't hurt anything but if you didn't check before using you might want to check.

I'm mostly sick of the whole eating thing in general, I'm always hungry but can't eat much and nothing tastes right. I wish they could just put me on an IV for the duration or give me formula or something, who cares about whole healthy food. I'm done with it. Except for chocolate, don't take away my chocolate. But really chocolate and fruit are the only things that taste good. That and MIL and I have been fighting, thats my rant for the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.