Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice -- any one been there done that?

I am 31 weeks (32 tomorrow) and caught what is either the flu or a nasty cold from my DH. (I am really mad about this, because, although I took precautions not to get sick, I really shouldn't have even been around him). Anyway, after one of my naps today (I have been trying to sleep a lot and drink a lot of fluids to get better) I took my temp and it was 102.2!! I freaked out, of course, and took some tylenol. That has helped and it is now at about 100.

My question is: what else should I be doing? Should I go to the hospital just in case? I am seeing a homebirth midwife and she just said to keep taking the tylenol and as long as my fever stays down to not worry about it. I also called my "back-up" OB's office and not surprisingly the nurse there was much more dramatic about the whole situation, saying that if my fever goes up at all above where it was when I called (100.4) to go to the urgent care and that if it gets back up to 102 I need to go to the emergency room.

What are your thoughts about this? What would they be able to do if I did go to the ER? I assume they would check the baby(?) but they can't really give me anything other than tylenol, right?

Has anyone else had a fever this pregnancy and if so, what did you do?

(Cross-posted in Midwives forum)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I had strep throat earlier in the year and ran a fever with it. Tylenol did fine keeping it under control. My mw wasn't too concerned. Keep drinking lots of cold fluids, even suck on popsicles if they are at all appetizing. I would be more worried about the dehydrating effects of a fever than from the fever itself.
Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I am not going to be much help, but I would think all the same things we do to help our children when they have a fever you could do as well such as a cool bath or shower, cold wash rags, cold/cool water, popsicles etc...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts