Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm 18 wks pg, and I have a little JRT girl who doesn't like kids.

My little niece (1 yr old) was here last year and she snapped her. She is fine with older kids but not with small kids. Although my other nephew (9mos old) was there as well and he didn't have any trouble with my little dog at all.

I've got a cd to train her with baby sounds, and she seems to be doing ok. But I'm really afraid of something happening. do you have any suggestions?

-Cuau
Owner of
: and happily

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Well, dogs don't generally not like "kids." They don't like small creatures who threaten them and move unpredictably and make weird noises. They snap to defend themselves from perceived threats OR to establish dominance, not usually out of simple dislike. If you can put yourself in her place, and look at kids' behaviors and habits in terms of dog manners, it will help you be less scared or reactive and start working on her level.

Many good trainers have a special "introducing baby to dog" session, or a private consultation would also work. I'd certainly go to that so you can be given tools and things to work on for the next 20 weeks. Otherwise, you can work on getting her really solid on basic obedience, including a rock-solid down-stay. If she jumps, fix that. A dog who can be relied upon to be generally obedient will be much easier to train around a baby.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts