Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never done this before. I'm not even at the tea point yet, but I was told by the person who gave me the scoby that I'm going to need a bit more original fluid with the scoby, before I add the tea. It's got about a quarter-cup to a half-cup with it now. He told me I could add raw vinegar to add to the fluid, but he didn't know how much.

Any advice on how much vinegar I should add before doing the tea part? Or do I need any? I thought I saw somewhere that scobies only needed about a half cup of fluid with them anyway, but I can't find that info now.

I'm using a half-gallon container.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I'm not really an expert with portions and such but, I think it sounds like your good to go!! If you ever need to add vinegar, I forgot to resreve some once
you can use ACV or buy a bottle of 'bucha and use that.

Don't worry, kombucha is easy once you start. It's a little intimidating at first but, the scoby does all the wrok

Just an FYI- when pregnant it is best to start out really slow with your 'bucha consumption unless you have been drinking it for a while before pregnancy. Congrats!!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
Just an FYI- when pregnant it is best to start out really slow with your 'bucha consumption unless you have been drinking it for a while before pregnancy. Congrats!!
I'm trying to be careful, because I had never drunk it before pregnancy. Then all of a sudden I started *craving* it after I'd had just one, the super-greens one. I'm not sure if I'm craving the greens or the kombucha. So I tend to trust the craving, but I'm trying to make sure I go slow enough too. I've been drinking one of Dave's GT a week, so 16 oz a week, but all on the same day. Does that sound like too much?

ETA: Thanks for the go-ahead! I'm excited.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, whatch what vinegar you put in so it does not change your kombucha into vinegar! I think with what you have you can go ahead but make a smaller container full not an entire gallon or anything also it may take a little longer.
Good luck and have fun!!
Miranda

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
it will probably taste very vinegary after the first brew if you add ACV, but you can then brew it again and it should be fine after that.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everybody. I was going to go ahead and do it with the liquid I had yesterday, but then I realized that I couldn't use the Earl Grey tea I had, so now I have to go out and buy regular black tea. So I added some vinegar because parts of the scoby were sticking out of the liquid, and I didn't want to leave it that way for too long.

But I used raw, mother-filled ACV! Hope it will be OK. I'm tempted to get some store-bought kombucha when I buy the tea, and just replace the liquid I have with that. Because I want to be able to drink it; I don't want it to taste too much like vinegar. And I don't want the vinegar mother to overwhelm it! OK, I think that's what I'm going to do, buy some kombucha for this batch.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.