Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, to staart, this board intimidates me, LOL probably because I am innudated with info and am a relative newbie to CD. We started in Sept 04. Now here is my problem. My 10 month old wears 3 diapers under his motherease cover and wakes smelling like a diaper pail and is SOAKED!!!!! This is the ONLY cover I can let him sleep in (I have several other brands but they all leak) The kid goes to bed wiht a huge amount of fluff on his butt. Please help me because the smell (and it is just urine) in the morning makes my MS worse....

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Maybe your diapers need stripping (the smell...) Wash them in HOT water with no detergent and see if you get bubbles.

We change at night if the diaper is wet... but most nights a pocket with 3 joey bunz will last the night.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
yup, I try stripping the diapers. A couple washes on hot w/o any detergent and maybe a touch of Sportswash should clear up any problems you have with smell.

Also, what diapers does your little one wear to bed. You mentioned 3 but not what kind.
How long is he sleeping?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Can you do a diaper change during the night? My baby goes to sleep about 9ish, I change him when I go to bed about 11pm and I think it helps with the soaking and the smell. He does wake up a bit but I'm ready for sleep too so nursing and co-sleeping at that point isn't a problem.

I also wanted to say that anyone who chose the name zona pellucida should be fine figuring out cloth diapering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, I'm embarrassed to say this, but my older daughter was the same way. She would have so much fluff on her butt that she could hardly walk, and she'd still wick and leak. Fleece covers (stacinator or sugar peas) work the best for us at night, but they're even only successfull with our second daughter ... our first daughter ended up in Huggies Overnight diapers (at night only). I figured it was worth it to use one disposable at night (and cloth all day) rather than use the extra energy doing a load of bed laundry every morning!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is my problem!!! I change his sheets daily. I finally had to kick him out of my bed, LOL. Ella is still comfey between mum onad dad.

Here is how I was my DSQ and homemade prefolds --rinse in toilet and throw in diaper pail. When diaper pail is full I dump into the washer in HOT water tea tree oil and a few drops of Lemon EO. Soak for as long as I can leave the washer free. Spin then do a full wash. Hang to dry. They smell great when I am done--no urine after scent and Ella doesn't seem to have this problem. I don't use any detergent so I know there is no detergent or soap residue. What do you think? I also ju8st found a site that had "boosters" so I am ordering (bidding on
) them and some AIO to see if this helps. Hopefully I won't return to ebay to find I have been outbid AGAIN.

Is there a better way to wash?

ETA: He sleeps a full night only waking once and I am embarrassed to admit I do not change him for fear he will decide to stay up if riled. I will try changing at the waking point tonight and see how wet he is in the morning.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Have you tried wool? Disana wool soakers work great for me at night.

As for the diaper, I would say that if you can afford it, try a Firefly Sleeptight. If not, try an Under the Nile fitted.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I think you need to put some detergent in with the wash. The smell is from the diapers not getting clean, then urine hits them and turns quickly to ammonia. Detergent lowers the water surface tension and allows it to penetrate the layers of your diapers. Just use whatever you wash your clothes with and try about 1/4 cup. I've been happily stink-free for over two years using 1/4 cupe of Tide.

You might like using a hemp flat and folding in a doubler or two. PunkinButt sells hemp flats and doublers. Have you ever heard of microfiber? Its that funny feeling cotton towelling they sell for washing cars. You can buy the towels at Walmart/Target in the car care area. They are super trim and extremely absorbant, and they are usually 100% cotton. You could fold one in half inside a hemp flat and top with a wool soaker. Aristocrat soakers are really nice for night time diapering

Good luck

Oh, one last thing. I had some Motherease covers I bought used. I think the material they're made of holds odors. I washed them a few times and it just wouldn't go away so I gave them away. I love how they fit though...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Heidi,
I was goona say you need detergent too. My was is Cold/cold with 1/2 C white vinegar then hot/warm with tiny bit detergent, and hot/warm no detergent. I KNOW I am doing 3 washes/rinses, but I was often and om only setting my washer on "small" so i figure it evens out. LOL. Also, I didn't send your box cause of the hurricane in your area but since you posted I know you have electricity so I am assuming mail too I will send it out now that I know it won't float away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.