Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hard time living an adult life. I am constantly called childish by different people (and I do agree: I do childish things).

I have a hard time mantaining a job, and an even harder time showing up on time and at all.

I have major mood swings.

I am currently on meds: Lamictal which makes me sleep for hours on end and wake up groggy. I don't like it at all.

I am scared that Iwill lose everything. I have lost everything *5* times in the past 2.5 yrs. so this is VERY real to me.

I want to try something natural. I am not afraid of getting better, or getting help, I am concerned about costs.

Those of you who can relate, what do you recommend as far as natural products go?

TIA,
Treece

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Sorry, not great advice, just

Sorry the Lamictal isn't working. I feel like I have read recently about other meds (maybe SSRIs?) being used more for BPD

Are you in talk therapy? That may be a very helpful, non-drug path. IIRC Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is recommended for BPD. You might want to look into that. Another new type of therapy that I have worked on both with a therapist and on my own is Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. Very helpful for learning to "defuse" from thoughts, accept the present, and engage positively with your life.

I don't have any advice about herbal meds, unfortunately. I have the "other" BPD (Bipolar) and have tried tons of herbal meds without success (and sometimes with very negative results). So I use pharma meds.

I also found that meditation (particulary the stress reducation program of Jon Kabat Zinn) very helpful for my racing thoughts & anxiety. There is also a similar program that has been developed for use with people with depression and anxiety--can't recall its name at the moment.

Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is recommended for BPD. You might want to look into that.
ITA

I have BPD and found that no medication was helpful to me. Most meds made me feel worse and less in control.

DBT however really changed my life completely. Its a big commitment and a difficult program, but I would totally recommend it. It really did save my life.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don't have a lot of advice I have borderline- a name I hate. What am I on the border of? I prefer Emotional Intensity Disorder which is what they have considered renaming it. I guess you would say I have recovered as I no longer meet the criteria but I can't tell you how or why. I am on Zoloft for PPD which has really helped. Are you using drugs or alcohol? If you are I would suggest stopping as that has really helped me. BFing is helping me stay on track with that. I also would try to find a good therapist. It took me 15 years and now that I have found her my life just keeps getting better. I have had a couple of rock bottom situations where I tried to kill myself and had to quit jobs etc. I guess I just got sick of losing things/people in my life and something snapped. I realized what I was risking by continuing the behaviors I did have control over and sought help for the things I didn't feel I could control. I don't mean to make it sound simple because it wasn't and it has been a really long road but I committed to stop cutting myself seven years ago and have been able to do it. Just try to have faith in yourself and keep trying to find the right people to help you! Remember that you are a good person and you deserve to be happy and have good things in your life no matter what happens or has happened.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilysmama1124 View Post
I don't have a lot of advice I have borderline- a name I hate. What am I on the border of?
The name specifically means on the border between neurosis and psychosis.
When that name was first phrased those were two accepted diagnosis. If you didn't quite fit in either one all the way, you were deemed Borderline. It was a wastebasket phrase for the most part. Like ADHD has become in our era.

I agree a different name would be better.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilysmama1124 View Post
I don't mean to make it sound simple because it wasn't and it has been a really long road but I committed to stop cutting myself seven years ago and have been able to do it.
I used to have HUGE problems with this. But, it's been about 7 yrs for me too. I didn't vow to stop, I just did. However, I slipped a few weeks ago and well, thought of cutting my wrist. I actually did alittle, but it hurt so much, so I stopped. It didn't used to hurt. It actually felt good then. I am getting better. Slowly but surely. Thanks guys yall are great.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Treece- Although I stopped cutting/burining myself seven years ago I want to do it alot. Since I had my dd and have been going through ppd I have been thinking about cutting alot. I didn't realize how much of an addiction it really is until I started having the urge to do it again.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, suicidal thoughts, words, and actions are my addiction. I don't *want* to die, but I say I do, I act like I do, adn I "think" I do. But I don't. Sometimes I feel pretty messed up in the head. I just can't cope.

On a brighter note, today was a fantastic day!!! Oh, and no meds in like 48 hrs.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I get my meds through a local low income place. They treat everything. But seem to use lots of drugs. My meds were changed to Prozac. The doctor wants me to go on hormonal BC, but I don't want to and I enjoy charting (when I remember to do it.) Plus I hate the side effects of the hormones. Mom says I'm imagining them, but they screwed my period up and something was going on internally (doc says not related to the hormones but I stopped taking them and problem disappeared).

I don't have the option of talk thereapy. I want so much to get better before I lose yet another person that I love.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.