Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Finally got myself in to the dr today to try and figure out why I have been so miserable -- bronchitis.  I've never been sick while pg before, much less hacking up a lung and unable to sleep like this, not fun.  Ideally I don't take meds when pg (besides my necessary thyroid ones), but it's albuterol and a steroid to try and get this under control.</p>

·
Registered
184 Posts
<p>nadia: I'm not a April Mommy but I'm a July Mommy who got bronchitis this weekend too!  The on-call dr recommended sleep, warm showers, drinking liquids and using a humidifier.  He said that water was better than any over-the-counter medicine for the cough, etc.  I have the viral type, so no antibiotics for me (yet).  Today I saw my regular Dr and she said basically the same.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm also trying to neti-pot and using a saline spray many times a day.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope you feel better soon.  The coughing is the worst, keeps me up and night and often makes me start gagging (I'm only 7wks pregnant so it irritates my m/s).</p>

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>So sorry you are having to deal with this too!  I wound up with albuterol to help with any sudden onset fits of coughing and a steroid to help gets teh tubes opening up.  Not my first choice by far, but I have been struggling with this and it has been only getting worse.  I did get a humidifier since I tend to feel better after getting out of the shower, so I am hoping that helps with the sleeping too. </p>

·
Registered
824 Posts
<p>That stinks :( I seem to get bronchitis at least once each winter, and have had it during both my other pregnancies. Not fun.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>tea_time, that stinks to have it with M/S! I had a cold with a bad cough right at the end of the first trimester this time, and I nearly puked a number of times with the coughing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>good luck and lots of cough-free vibes to both of you!</p>

·
Registered
449 Posts
<p>I had it this past week also...opted for the 5 day Z-pac, plus albuterol that I already use PRN, and NO steroids, or cough meds. Feeling so much better now, although I'm still coughing some. It really seems to be going around right now.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope all of you feel better very soon! *hug*</p>

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>I started the abx today since it was becoming clear (after night 4 of not being able to sleep) that this is probably not going to lift wiht out them.  It felt like the steroid and albuterol were helping the first day, but now I'm not 100% sure.  Having the humidifier running full blast at night seems to be the only thing that actually lets me get more than 15 minutes of sleep at a time (with 4 pillows stacked up behind me so I am pretty much upright).</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts