Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the hardest part of going vegetarian was getting rid of that "meat-potatoes-veggie side dish" mindset I had when it came to cooking dinners. Now I don't think twice about cooking all our meals in one skillet/pot.

I'm really craving SEPARATE food today though, for some reason. I've been wanting to make some sort of potatoes (thinking scalloped or mashed) but I don't know what to cook with it! I wish I'd had this craving last night, we had veggie burgers- that would have been perfect!

Any ideas on a main dish that would go good with potatoes?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Probably posting too late to help you, but when I am craving mashed potatoes I just make the the chickpea gravy recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance and serve that over mashed potaoes alongside with a green vegetable, such as roasted asparagus or broccoli.

I figure the chickpeas in the gravy are my protein for the meal.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I love this scalloped potatoes recipe and serve it with all kinds of things - grilled veggies, salads, anything you want, really. What veggies have you got around the house? We'll help you think of something!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
Probably posting too late to help you, but when I am craving mashed potatoes I just make the the chickpea gravy recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance and serve that over mashed potaoes alongside with a green vegetable, such as roasted asparagus or broccoli.

I figure the chickpeas in the gravy are my protein for the meal.

I have that book, and I LOVE that gravy recipe! Unfortunately, my husband is not a huge fan of chickpeas, otherwise I'd make it alllll the time. Don't ask how a person could NOT like chickpeas, I don't get it either. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
I love this scalloped potatoes recipe and serve it with all kinds of things - grilled veggies, salads, anything you want, really. What veggies have you got around the house? We'll help you think of something!
I forgot I even posted this, because I forgot to subscribe, haha. I didn't end up making what I was craving last night. Maybe tonight. As for vegetables, I have green bell peppers, half an eggplant (that I NEED to use, like today, before it goes bad), carrots, celery, jalapenos.. I think that's about it. Oh and I have some frozen broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and some mixed veggies. Seems like a lot of food, but I've been making the same meals over and over, lately. I need something different.

I'll probably end up making an eggplant curry tonight so I can use up that half an eggplant. But I still need some ideas for what to make with mashed potatoes! lol

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am so there with you... I ate meat for more than 30 years... it's been less than a year? (maybe coming on a year) since I've stopped eating meat (just got turned off by it one day and haven't looked back) ... and i STILL have that meat-potatoes-side dish mentality. I have no advice on how to kick it... but if I figure it out, I'll let ya know!

If you're craving mashed potatoes, I've made a portabello stew (make like beef stew only sub portabello mushrooms for meat and veggie broth for beef broth) to serve along side it (i like mine on top actually). Some steamed broccoli on the side and voila... full meal

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds really good, I'll have to try that! I'm trying to overcome my aversion to mushrooms. I used to be SO picky about vegetables, I'm having to teach myself to like them, lol. So far, so good!

I've been vegetarian for nearly three years, so not too much longer than you. You pick it up eventually. It's been fun, trying new foods. I've gotten really into cooking Indian food. I love that there are infinite vegetarian options. I also make tons of soup, which I rarely made before, so that's pretty exciting for me. I think my latest obsession has been lentils. I feel like there are so many more possibilities now, being vegetarian, then we ever had eating meat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
try this- perfect with mashed potatoes

Jay-Lo's Fried "Chicken"
by Sarah Kramer

Basic Instant Gluten

* 1/2 cup instant vital wheat gluten flour
* 1/2 cup water

In a medium bowl, stir together the wheat gluten and water until it becomes elastic. Knead for 5 minutes and set aside. Prepare the faux chicken flavouring to use with your dough.

Makes 2 large or 4 small servings.

Faux Chicken Flavoring

* 2 cups water
* 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
* 2 tbsp tamari
* 1 tsp onion powder
* 1 tsp dried sage
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp celery seed

In a large saucepan, bring all of the broth ingredients to a boil.

Shape Basic Instant Gluten into breast shapes and drop carefully into broth. Reduce heat and cover with lid. Let simmer for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until broth has reduced completely.

[General use directions:] Use "chicken" immediately in your dish of choice or store in the refrigerator (for up to 6 days) or the freezer (for up to 6 months). For a chewier texture, once you've boiled the "chicken", bake it at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a lightly oiled baking dish for 30 minutes.

Jay-Lo's Fried "Chicken"

* 1/4 cup flour
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup "milk" (soy, oat, rice etc)
* Faux Chicken (see recipe above)
* 3-4 tbsp olive oil

In a shallow dish, stir together the flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Set aside. In a small bowl, pour "milk" and set aside. Dip "chicken" into flour, then dip in "milk" and then into flour again. In a large frying pan on medium-high heat, fry "chicken" in oil until well browned on both sides.

·
Registered
557 Posts
we always end up eating mashed potatoes with beans. Usually pinto beans (from the crock pot) and then a salad. It's super comfort food for us.

or sometimes we have twice-baked potatos topped with steamed or roasted veggies (and cheese if you do cheese) on the top (I know it's not separate food).

As for the eggplant, we love eggplant as meat subsitute in tacos and burritos. We usually sautee an onion, add the eggplant, add black beans and green chili and then either put it into a tortilla for burritos or into taco shells and add toppings. Yum.

It's funny b/c I struggled w/ the meat+starch+veggie issue for along time and now it's hard to think outside of the one-dish meal.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html

This is my favorite combo from there.

1/2 cup pecans
2 tsp olive oil
One onion, diced
One large garlic clove, minced
One large carrot, peeled and grated
One cup mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetable broth, as needed
1 heaping TB flaxseed meal
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
2 TB nutritional yeast flakes
2 TB ketchup
Several dashes vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 TB soy sauce

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350º. Spray a loaf pan or 8x8 square baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside (an 8x8 pan makes a crisper loaf).

Grind the pecans into a coarse meal using a food processor or spice/coffee grinder. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Sauté any vegetables you've chosen in the olive oil until soft. Add to the large mixing bowl along with all the remaining ingredients. Mix and mash together well, adding only as much liquid as needed to create a soft, moist loaf that holds together and is not runny (you may not need to add any liquid if the grains and protein are very moist). Add more binder/carbohydrate as needed if the loaf seems too wet.

Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through.

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto a plate or platter and slice. Serve with potatoes, vegetables, and vegetarian gravy, if desired.

Cold leftover slices of make a great sandwich filling.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
When ever we are wanting something like that I make some sort of lentil/bean loaf or patties to go with it. We are still having a hard time getting over the 'meat', veg & starch meal plan as well.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Ten-minute Tofu works well to fill the "meat space" in that type of meal. (I tried making it with ground flaxseeds the other day when we were out of yeast flakes. That was NOT good.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.