Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I am SOOO close to losing it!!
: I seriously can't take anymore! My dd (7months old) was sick last week, she had fever and a little bit of diarrhea, she got over the fever on friday diarrhea on saturday. we took her to the doctor on friday and he said it looked like the flu!!
: uhm no...it is not the flu, i think it was a virus. Last week I was ok, I could handle her just fine because i knew she was really sick and i had all the patience in the world. but the last few days it has been horrible! i have no idea what is wrong with her. she is whiny and clingy and wants me alot, not her dad, last week she didnt care if it was me or her dad taking care of her. the doctor said that her ears are clear so i know its not that. She has also been sleeping horribly lately. she went from waking once a night to eat and right back to sleep to waking up EVERY hour! fighting me not to lay down and eat and taking 10-20minutes to go back to sleep. I am so exhausted which makes everything worse. Its hard for dh to help me because he goes to work at 5am and because she has been wanting me. I have NO ONE else to help me and i can't take this!
This morning she has been biting me hard! she has two teeth on bottom and four teeth on top, i guess they are coming out more. She has been biting anything she can get her mouth on, the teething tablets were not helping at all. i gave her a washrag with ice cube in it which only helped for a few minutes. so i gave her tylenol which only helped for about 20-30 minutes. i have tried to nurse her because she seems to want to nurse but she will only nurse for about a minute and then bite me hard while pulling the nipple out of her mouth! it hurts so bad, she has done this EVERY time she has nursed today so i am so afraid to let her nurse again
right now she is crying/screaming inconsolably. i am crying too cause i hate the parent that i'm turning into. i have been yelling at her today and it kills me to be so low to have to resort to yelling, but i dont know what else to do.i have even had to just beat the hell out of a pillow and my leg(i know i will have bruises tomorrow). i never suffered from ppd, i am just so frustruated. i want to help her but have no idea how to, i just....i dont know. if anyone has any advice or just btdt. thank you SOO much if you have made it this far. thanks...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow, i feel better already now that i have posted this

·
Registered
354 Posts
mamma! I'm sorry it's so rough right now. Other more experienced mammas may have great advice for you; my DS is only 8 months old. The only thing I can think of that helped me last weekend when I was in your shoes was to have DH take DS away. Far, far away. At least for a couple of hours. Maybe getting daddy time and out looking at things will calm the little one down? Or could you go for a walk with DC?

Sounds like you've tried teething remedies...the only thing that worked for us has been a combo teething necklace and gum-o-mile oil from Whole Foods. If it's possible at all tell your husband that you need emergency mamma time TONIGHT. Call him now and tell him. HTH and hugs again.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks so much, we are both doing better now, my dh is being great and told me not to worry and that he will take her the whole night! yay! I mean i love my baby with all my heart but everyone has a breaking point yk?! I feel so horrible about the way i was acting this morning, i can't believe that i would let myself get like that. i can't wait for tonight when my dh can watch her and i can just relax!

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I have been having similar problems with my 12 month old ds who is teething right now. I finally pulled out the big guns and bought some Orajel and gave him that as well as a dose of ibuprofen. He fell asleep the moment it kicked in. When he is crabby and uncomfortable he will often relax if I take his clothes off and my shirt off and sling him in the ring sling and pace around the house. When absolutely nothing else helps with his pain, though, I have no problem giving him relief through pain meds and numbing cream.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Oh gosh, aren't you glad to have a place like this to vent?

It could be that the poor dear was suffering from a combination of being sick, teething, and the "attached to mom" phase setting in, all at the same time. The biting might also indicate that she is hungry. Are you giving her solids yet? My daughter started doing similar things, and when I started giving her more solids, she stopped.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
190 Posts
HUGS TO YOU!
It sounds like you are doing the exact right thing by coming here, venting, getting support and honoring yourself and your experience without berating yourself for it. Good job GOOD MAMA!!!

Sometimes, when babies have pain or illness, we forget that they don't know that it won't be forever. Talk to her, remind her that her teeth or the virus won't be forever and she'll feel better soon.

Sometimes pain (emotional, physical, illness, teeth) can trigger memories from an earlier upset or pain...birth memories? She sounds like she is angry and/or scared too and trying to tell you about that.

What was her birth like?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes this morning she did have an angry tone to me it seemed. i felt horrible not being able to help her out much. her birth was ok i guess, she was very peaceful and alert when she was born. i had to have a c/s because of a combination of things.
i do think that she is ready for more solids but i am just not sure what to give her really. she mostly eats and picks off of whatever we are eating. she is wanting more 'table' foods and not a lot of baby foods or anything with that consistency, she is wanting to take bites of food, like real bites. maybe i should give her more, i am guessing she is really starting to get ready for food

wirewendy what other things was your dc doing when you noticed they were ready for solid foods?

yes i am soo glad that i have a place to go to vent where i won't be judged and others will know what i am going through and not look at me like i am a horrible mother
i love this place and everyone here is always so supportive.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Since it's what I know about, I'll share my perspective even tho it sounds also like you are intuitively sensing the issue about food!

Even tho she seemed peaceful and alert at birth, it doesn't mean there weren't parts of the experience that were difficult for her that she remembers.

C-Sections can definatly incur birth memories that are upsetting for a baby - and they have no way to tell you about what hurt or was scary other than to try and SHOW you: CHOMP, "See? It hurt THAT much Mom!" or "I want you to know I was mad that you....(fill in the blank - were gone? let that happen?) I want to be close to you, but I am angry so I pull away and hurt you..." (And sometimes these memories don't get triggered until later in infancy when something else happens that brings it up).

This of course may be completely NOT true for you, but I've seen it before, so if you are willing, try over the next day or so to talk to her slowly about her birth...see what she does, how she responds, she'll be listening even if she doesn't respond the first time you bring it up, but my guess is that she eventually will be glad to know you understand what she went thru...then your part is to really listen and put yourself in her place with what she might have been experiencing and empathize with her.

That's my $.02, and whatever happens, I wish you the best in helping your dd and yourself find peace and comfort!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts