Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
HUGS TO YOU!
It sounds like you are doing the exact right thing by coming here, venting, getting support and honoring yourself and your experience without berating yourself for it. Good job GOOD MAMA!!!

Sometimes, when babies have pain or illness, we forget that they don't know that it won't be forever. Talk to her, remind her that her teeth or the virus won't be forever and she'll feel better soon.

Sometimes pain (emotional, physical, illness, teeth) can trigger memories from an earlier upset or pain...birth memories? She sounds like she is angry and/or scared too and trying to tell you about that.

What was her birth like?

· Registered
190 Posts
Since it's what I know about, I'll share my perspective even tho it sounds also like you are intuitively sensing the issue about food!

Even tho she seemed peaceful and alert at birth, it doesn't mean there weren't parts of the experience that were difficult for her that she remembers.

C-Sections can definatly incur birth memories that are upsetting for a baby - and they have no way to tell you about what hurt or was scary other than to try and SHOW you: CHOMP, "See? It hurt THAT much Mom!" or "I want you to know I was mad that you....(fill in the blank - were gone? let that happen?) I want to be close to you, but I am angry so I pull away and hurt you..." (And sometimes these memories don't get triggered until later in infancy when something else happens that brings it up).

This of course may be completely NOT true for you, but I've seen it before, so if you are willing, try over the next day or so to talk to her slowly about her birth...see what she does, how she responds, she'll be listening even if she doesn't respond the first time you bring it up, but my guess is that she eventually will be glad to know you understand what she went thru...then your part is to really listen and put yourself in her place with what she might have been experiencing and empathize with her.

That's my $.02, and whatever happens, I wish you the best in helping your dd and yourself find peace and comfort!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.