Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you guys

I'm hoping I can glean some advice/hope/support from some of you who have btdt.

My little guy is 4 months old ~ at 3 days pp I noticed things weren't right and in turn ended up having ppd REALLY badly, I am just now pulling myself out that miserable hole ~ I still have issues with OCD and anxiety but not to the extent that I did 2 months ago.

I've read The Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Postpartum Health and am currently reading Beyond the Blues, I also have Women's Moods sitting here and I've just put in a request @ my library for The Mood Cure & Depression-Free for Life. Up to this point I've used nutritional and herbal means to keep my sanity but it seems like this anxiety/ocd thing is being stubborn and I'm not sure if I should just keep on doing what I'm doing w/ the hopes that it'll go away, or if I should give in and get a script for an SSRI.

My problem is SSRI's make me nervous, I'm a huge herb/natural rememdies buff and often find myself untrusting of conventional medicine, and yet I know that they can really help too. Bottom line is I'm tired of being tormented by my OCD and anxiety, it's A LOT of work to keep myself calm all the time while also chasing 4 boys, dealing with a husband who travels a lot and homeschooling. I tend to be fine during the day (most times) but at night is when I have to prepare myself so the idea that an SSRI might help me get through this is a very relieving thought.

Although I admit I am nervous about calling up my m/w asking for help especially since it's been 4 months since I've had Seamus. I don't know why because I know she would. I think some of it is I would feel like a weakling or that she'd look at me as a bad mom. I also feel like a failure, like if I were only stronger I could of/should of been able to pull myself out of this using herbs only. My other fear is that the SSRI's wont work, will make it worse or I'll have to go try half a dozen before I find that "perfect" one, all while still trying to take care of my day to day tasks of being a mom.

My 2nd question/worry. As I said earlier my little guy is 4 months old, we would like 1 more baby although we don't plan on having another until he's around 3 so we'd get pg when he's 2.5 or so (that is IF things work out it took us almost 6 years to concieve him, I'm trying to be hopeful lol) ~ this will be our last baby should we be blessed with one more.

My fear is going through the ppd again, I would like to avoid that particular hell if I can and so while trying to heal myself now I am also trying to learn what I need to do so that when the time comes I will be prepared. For those who had ppd and went on to have more children what did you do to prepare? Part of me thinks I should probably just go on an SSRI while pg and continue w/ them until I feel ready to wean, my hope is that if I do this I can avoid the pits of ppd or at the very least make it less severe.

I'm sorry this post is so long, but my thanks goes to anyone who made it through my blabbering lol

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish_Blue
For those who had ppd and went on to have more children what did you do to prepare?
I didn't do anything specific to prepare, but it was nice to know that I'd lived through it. That it could happen; that it is terrible to go through, but that it ENDS. I have three girls - middle one had raging colic and I had PPD. None of either with dd1 or dd3. Not sure what the diff was - but I really think that her colic triggered my PPD.

I would call your midwife and make an appointment. Mine was so loving and helpful when I went to her. It IS hard to admit that you aren't the "perfect parent". I felt a lot of shame, especially after dd1's babyhood was so perfect.

I also didn't want to be on meds. If you want to do without, you really have to make your life as stress free as possible. (My dh travels a lot for work too.) What can you do? Friends or family nearby to help you? Can the older kids go into a homeschool program through your school (one elementary in our district has a program for homeschool kids - it is called PARADE but no idea what that stands for...)? Can you hire a mother's helper for two hours each day? You need some help to get through this time.

Hope you find a way to take some breaks. Remember that it will get better!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would call your midwife. She can direct you to programs and other information that may help you in your struggle.

I wish I had said something to my midwife when things were hitting me hard in the begging, but I waited and feel that I lost precious time with my dd.

You are not a failure. You are doing the right thing for you and your baby. If anything, it makes you a stronger person.

Things are rough right now, but as soon as you get the help you need, you will look back at this as a learning experience.

Meds are not for everyone, but they do help. Make sure if you are going to start taking them, find the ones that are right for you.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Consider an amino acid blend formulated for your blood work. There's start-up dollars involved (about $125 for the test) and I don't know if insurance would cover it or if you have insurance. Your doc or midwife could order a test from

www.metametrix.com (blood spot amino acid)

or the plasma amino acid tests at

www.doctorsdata.com

or

www.genovadiagnostics.com

If you're low in tryptophan, for instance, the concoction would have higher 5HTP in it to give you more tryptophan. There's less trial and error involved with the blood work.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys for replying ~ I'm going to get a full blood workup done to see what my body is deficient in, I think it'll help answer a lot of questions.

I appreciate all of your advice as well

One thing that I've noticed is that I can't have ANY caffinee, it makes my ocd/anxiety worse and in reading Beyond the Blues (I think I'm reading so many books right now lol) it says that if you have ocd/anxiety not to drink caffine so that helped solidify my idea that it made it worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts