Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything natural that I can use/take to help with the congestion, sore throat, nausea. I have a feeling that I am going to end up at the doctors in the morning. My head and throat hurt so bad. I don't think it is strep because my son seemed to have the same thing over thanksgiving and he was better in about 4 days.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hi! I got this in an email from my local homeopathic doc!<br><br>
The first remedy to think of for flu prevention and treatment is of course<br>
oscillocoxinum. This is sold at many mainstream pharmacies despite the fact<br>
that it's a homeopathic remedy. Many of my patients report that when they take<br>
this remedy at the first sign of a cold or flu, or when they are around people<br>
who have a cold or flu, that they don't "catch it" or that it significantly<br>
reduces the severity.<br><br>
Other preventive measures are to take vitamin C, beta carotene and vitamin E<br>
daily during the cold and flu season. Jade Screen is a Chinese herbal<br>
medication which will also strengthen your immune system this time of year, and can<br>
be used to prevent the flu when you know you are going to be around sick people.<br><br>
At the first sign of a cold or flu, be certain to immediately start taking<br>
Yin Chiao Chinese herbal. This will often stop the progress of the virus.<br>
After the first 48 hours, stop taking Yin Chiao, and instead change to Gan Mao<br>
Ling. Also start to take Shitaki and Reishi mushroom extract to build your<br>
immunity. Colostrum is also wonderful both to prevent and treat the cold or flu.<br><br>
Eat and drink only warming foods. If you eat cold or icy foods or drinks it<br>
may weaken your immune system and create a more severe cough. Take a hot bath<br>
with lavender or your favorite oils, and then wrap up in blankets to sweat<br>
the pathogen out of your system.<br><br>
You can also drink hot water with apple cider vinegar and a sprinkle of<br>
cayenne pepper.<br><br>
If your symptoms come on fast after exposure to cold rain or wind, then use<br>
homeopathic Aconite. If a high fever is present, add Belladonna, or Ferrum<br>
phos for a low grade fever. If you have chills up and down the spine, feel very<br>
weak, and have the sniffles with a headache, often Gelsemium is your remedy of<br>
choice.<br><br>
There are many other common flu and cold homeopathic remedies. Bryonia is<br>
one of the most commonly used homeopathics. It will work if you have symptoms<br>
of aching muscles, thirst, but only want sips of water, and feel worse with any<br>
type of movement. Usually the Bryonia patient just wants to be left entirely<br>
alone, and they may also be quite restless.<br><br>
Another good homeopathic for the flu is Rhus tox. The keynote for Rhus tox<br>
is extreme restlessness, but they can also be depressed and irritable. The<br>
person who needs Rhus tox will feel better moving around and changing positions<br>
often. They may also get a bright red heat rash which is itchy. They tend not<br>
to be thirsty.<br><br>
Arsenicum has irritability, a runny nose, fever, diarrhea, and may, despite<br>
the cold or flu, still be ordering people around and attempting to control his<br>
or her environment.<br><br>
Baptisia is a flu remedy for a high fever and confusion. There may also be<br>
smelly perspiration and both diarrhea and vomiting.<br><br>
There are a few other homeopathic remedies for the flu as well. I recommend<br>
getting a good book on homeopathy. That way, when you call your health<br>
practitioner, you make it easier on him or her by describing your symptoms in a way<br>
that most closely corresponds to the remedies. The best place to purchase<br>
homeopathy books is from Berkeley Homeopathic Educational Services. Their phone<br>
number is: 800-359-9051.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I just want to second the oscillococcinum. Luckily I don't really get the flu, but my 4.5 dd has never had the flu longer than about 6 hrs due to the oscillo. I give her 3 doses 3 hrs apart and then she is perfectly fine - still very tired, but otherwise fine.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Feel better!!<br><br><a href="http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/3-nut/412-winter-health-suppliments.htm" target="_blank">http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/3...uppliments.htm</a>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts