Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a total clutz and 20 wks preggers. I just did the absolute clutzo thing and tried to sit down on a chair that wasn't really there.
: I feel right on my butt...plenty of padding. But since I am pregnant do I need to worry about this fall? Let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Well, I can relate...I'm fabulously well-padded on the backside.

I wouldn't worry about a fall on the rump at all. If you have anything like spotting or pains...then definately notify the dr/midwife.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm sure baby is just fine. In a normal pregnancy baby should be well protected by your body and amniotic fluid. The only time I've heard of a minor slip/fall being an problem is when there were other risk factors like a history of pre-term labor or pre-existing cervical issues. If you notice any pain (aside from your sore butt
) or anything strange, then call your care provider. Otherwise, just milk it for what it's worth--you should be able to at least get enough pity from your S/O to get a back massage or something

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blastomom
I'm sure baby is just fine. In a normal pregnancy baby should be well protected by your body and amniotic fluid. The only time I've heard of a minor slip/fall being an problem is when there were other risk factors like a history of pre-term labor or pre-existing cervical issues. If you notice any pain (aside from your sore butt
) or anything strange, then call your care provider. Otherwise, just milk it for what it's worth--you should be able to at least get enough pity from your S/O to get a back massage or something
:

I fell several times when I was pregnant and it was always scary. But htat's wht my midwife told me--- that there is enough fluid around the baby (and I had excessive fluid too) that it can handle those falls.
Maybe when you fall it's just like a six flags ride to them or something. Weeeeeeee!!!

I even fell on my face each time and she was fine.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You'll be fine!

I fell when I was pregnant with my first on ice. I was so upset and bawled worrying I did something. My midwife said the same thing as judejudes with the protective fluid around baby.

No worries mama!

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
When I was pg with #1, I was in a hit and run car crash that totalled my van. The doc at the hospital told me, "She is protected by the best shock absorbers on earth." I have fallen with every pregnancy, and with the last two, I took a serious tumble down the stairs (you know the kind where you lay there for a minute to try and assess if anything is broken?). Baby was fine each time. However, please take care of yourself. Sometimes when we hurt ourselves when we're pregnant, we're so concerned with our baby that we fail to realize that we've been hurt. My midwife told me that arnica is fine to take during pregnancy, and it seriously helped me. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
If anything starts feeling out of place (ie, back, pelvis) I would see a chiropractor first...(even before a Dr)...unless you are spotting bright red or have cramps/contax I wouldn't worry about baby!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I fell once last time when I was about 5 months. I hit the hardwood floors and never thought I was going to be able to get up, but everything was fine.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I fell when I was around 3 month and had to had an X-ray done to my foot - it was that bad. I did call my OB and nurse told me that as long as I did not hit the tummy, I'll be fine.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
A friend of mine was in a car accident around that timeframe - car flipped over like 3 times. Pretty bad wreck (had their been any passengers in the car, they would likely have been dead). My friend was carrying twins. They're now healthy baby girls. She didn't have *any* problems with the pregnancy due to that wreck. If you had gotten a heavy blow to the tummy, then yes, you'd probably want to check things out, but falling on your butt from chair height isn't likely to hurt the baby at all.
As others said, if you have ctx or bleeding, then call the doctor, of course. But I think you'd have to have had a worse fall than that to cause problems.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I did something similar about a week or so ago (so about 19 to 20 weeks pregnant). The chair was there though - actually, I'd been sitting in for a good 5 minutes when it suddenly just fell apart under me. It was an older lawnchair and the one arm was already broken, but I just happened to be in it when the rest of it just gave out.

Hit the balcony hard with my arse, the back of the chair hit the back of my neck - hurt like the dickens !

But babe's kicking and has a great heartbeat yet - so I don't figure I did any harm to him or her.

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
I've never fallen during pregnancy, but when I was 3 my mom was pregnant with my brother. I decided to "help" by waxing the kitchen floor with an entire can of Pledge when she was about 7 or 8 months along. Now, we lived in a small singlewide trailer at the time so that one can coated the floor several times over. She walked in and her legs went up over her head. She knocked the wind out of herself and ended up bruised all over, but my brother was fine--even ended up staying in an extra 3 weeks or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My mother was not so lucky. At 6 months pregnant she fell while hanging up curtains from a step stool. She fell right on her butt and went into premature labor. This was 1979 and my sister only weighted three pounds but she made it and is thriving now. This always makes me worry though because I am a clumsy person.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts