Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the shower when all of the sudden I started shaking really badly and I felt totally weak like I could barely stand up. So I got out and dried off and laid down trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Some sorta stress reaction? I've been under severe stress this week (3 yr old had surgery, 4 days in a strange town at the hospital, 3 Dr visits this week, mom totaled her car yesterday (did I mention she also got married Sunday?), dd's special formula is STILL not in at the pharmacy after being told 3 times over the last 2 weeks it had been ordered and it wasn't, my pay check didn't show up ontime and a stalker that made my life hell for 3 years (got him convicted 2x for it) tried adding himself to my buddy list (idiot was stupid enough to use the email addy he used back then) after about 5 years of silence. So I've been feeling a little stressed) then the shortness of breath started and I'm thinking ok, panic attack but I'm not feeling any anxiety or fear type reaction and then the chest pressure starts and my left arm is killing me. ok, I'm thinking maybe not a stress reaction as I do have a minor heart problem (MVP) that has caused problems in the past so off to the hospital I go. I swear, I don't think I've ever been hooked up to that many things at once! Turns out that yes it was my heart messing up and I need to see the cardio guy again (this was found out AFTER the Dr offered me a xanax (I'd mentioned to the nurse I didn't know if it was stress or my heart) and just said the nurse would give me a pill and he didn't want to say what it was till I forced it out of him. I laughed and refused) Anyway couple hours later I'm looking at my labs they took and I notice my potassium and chloride is low and my sodium is borderline low and so I ask about them and there only advice is eat a banana or potato! No mention of "yeah if these are low they cause the symptoms your having including the marked sinus arrhythmias your having." It steams me they don't stress how important it is to get those levels back up and how important it is to eat those foods! What if I didn't know about those levels? They probably would have continued to drop because I don't tend to eat foods with high levels of it and we could have had a major problem. They'd rather I pop a pill which they make money on then work on my diet! When I see the cardio I'm going to be asking him about those levels and if I'm right. I think I am! I've eaten a couple bananas and a potato and i'm feeling better but still really weak.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I'm sorry you had to go through that. I dont like the Er.. But I am glad you followed your gut feeling and went in.. I hope you feel better soon .. Be sure to ask all the questions you can when you go in to see the cardo..

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sorry you had to go through that. Most docs don't know much about nutrition, so I'm not surprised. Besides popping a pill is a "quick fix'. It's something they can control (They can'r really control what you eat.) and makes them feel important. After all, you can't write yourself a prescription, but you can bake yourself a potato.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
There is no money in giving you that sort of advice. No durgs, no pharmacy, no follow up with your family doctor or cardiologist. It's all about money. Dietatry changes you can make yourself! They are not lukrative.<br><br>
Sorry to hear about all your stress, but hospitals are a business. A big business. They have stock holders to pay off...<br><br>
P.S. All medicine is business. A healthy person is a customer lost. Think about it before you take or inject any medicine.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Dh has gotten that kind of advice from our doc.... Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater ladies.<br><br>
I'm glad you went in the ER too and found out. Kudos on being an informed patient/client. I'm of the opinion that since it's our body, we should have a clue, especially if we know we have a condition that may lead to problems.<br><br>
btw, potassium pills are over the counter. DH keeps them around for when he doesn't get a banana or pickles or whatever that are potassium rich. Docs don't make diddley on those, or prescriptions either for that matter....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts